Truck / Trailer Combo Licensing Requirements

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper LawnSite Member

I understand what you're trying to get across. But the fact still remains, You're not a lawyer and you are in no position to give legal advise what so ever.
    Everyone interprets the law differently, what may be enforced in Maryland, isn't in Montana. Even though it's still a federal law.

If you want someone to just tell you you're right....... Then you're right, end of conversation. This ridiculous thread can stop until someone comes to the table with it written in layman's terms by a lawyer so everyone here has no trouble understanding it.

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Hmmm....Did you miss something

So what is required to pull 10k+ when the GCWR doesn't exceed 26k?

3. Duffster

from Midwest

This link doesn't tell us anything.

4. Duffster

from Midwest

You previouse link makes more sense now.

Non commercial "C"

The truck and trailer combo that we have been talking about falls under a Non commercial Class "C" based on the following definition of "CMV"

:weightlifter::laugh:

5. Duffster

from Midwest

A little update for Devious (Burnthecouch, you may find this interesting also)

I did the homework you should have done before making statements that you can't backup.

I sent a email to the PennDot asking them this question....

As to which this was the response from PennDot....

What a coincidence, this is what I have been saying all along.:rolleyes:

6. Duffster

from Midwest

Devious,

Look what I found in your homestate of MD's CDL handbook, that pesky little flow chart that you claimed was not for your state.

I realize these flow charts are above your pay grade but oh well here it is again.

(ps what would the judge think of this?)

http://www.marylandmva.com/Resources/DL-151.pdf

Maryland CDL flowchart.jpg

7. Duffster

from Midwest

Last one for you

Now I typically don't like website that are not specifically DOT websites but this one that you referenced looks to be legit.

http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-pa.html

A couple minutes of searching proves that all states dicussed in this thread, my home state and all states neighboring my home state, have the same CDL requirements, the one thing that you and I agree on.

Since all states have the same requirments this little chart from my home states CDL handbook should clear up any doubt for you.

(Pay special attention to line 15 that says you could pull a 20k trailer with no CDL and a standard class "D" license):drinkup:

CDL Chart.jpg

8. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

maybe i missed it in the thread, or maybe its a local thing. but its my understanding i also need a "health card" issued by my doctor to haul anything over 17,000, single, or in combination.

9. Duffster

from Midwest

Could be.:confused:

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

3 states that I'm familiar with - you need a DOT Physical for operating any commercial unit over 10,000# gvw.

Duffster -

If I wanted to search the net and find an article that states burning brush is more environmentaly friendly than grinding brush - I'll surley find such an article.

Good grief, you can devote all the time you wish in attempt to prove me wrong, I encourage it. Seriously, why argue with me, I'm not the one writing the tickets nor am I the one who holds the gabble. But I do have some friends who write tickets!

Perhaps - we shall stop and think about this. Ok, we all know it's illegal to get behind the wheel and drive drunk. We don't need a thread about drunk driving laws, because this is a known fact. I initiated the topic becase most folks are not aware that in most states a *Class A* IS required when you hook up to a trailer over 10,000# :)

I posted the anoted code that is provided by my state's General Assembly. The anoted code is the law. Anyone who is uncertain about the law for their state - another avenue is to go straight to your stated anoted codes and look it up.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.