1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Truck & Trailer Question - HELP !

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PhillyShells, Mar 9, 2007.

1. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

Is this a problem or not - I am planning on purchasing an enclosed trailer this year. I had a trailer hitch installed but a friend mentioned that since the truck didnt com with a tow package ( something about tow package having a external trans oil cooler ) it could ruin the trans.
    I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500. Will my truck be ok as is ? Also I have been checking trailers and there are so many brands ( Pace, Haulmark, Featherlite, American Hauler, Thule to name a few ) are there any to stay clear of ?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Tow package's help i have em,should not be a problem what size are you buying get brakes also.

3. PhillyShells

Thanks !
    Probably no bigger than a 5x10

4. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

its not expensive to get a dealership to put a towing package on to help the stress on the rear axel and drive train. It will over time wear down alot faster so in the end you will end up having to get it done anyway :)

5. PhillyShells

And before anyone bellyaches - I noticed there's a forum for " Trucks and Trailers " so sorry - posted before I noticed.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Okay the lawn police are own there way,a 5x8 is not that heavy you should be fine get brakes and a 3500lbs axle trust me i have two haulmarks.

7. PhillyShells

Now you have haulmarks:
    Are there any big quality differences in brands of trailers - any to avoid ?

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

I don't know, the haulmarks seemed to me to have good paint work, most trailers are the same torsion axles there not much to them i like one you can stand up in and dome lights and a side door.

9. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

You should be OK but I agree, get trailer brakes.