Truck/Trailer wiring?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by terrapro, Sep 11, 2010.

1. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a wiring box under my hood for the trailer on a 95 chevy. We are trying to hook up the wiring for the trailer with no luck.

Here is what I have for wires...

Truck side-
    big blue wire
    small blue wire
    brown
    yellow
    white
    red

Trailer side-
    yellow
    red
    black
    green
    brown
    white
    blue

2. GunnPropertyServices

GunnPropertyServices LawnSite Senior Member

dont worry about the colors, get a test light/multi meter and figure out what they do

they are very cheap if you dont already have one

3. GunnPropertyServices

GunnPropertyServices LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you have a good ground when testing

4. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

Go to your local auto parts store and there should be adapters to plug into the wiring harness at your tail lights.It will be a T shape,easy as pie.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

An adapter will not solve his wiring problem. read the frist post. This truck has a breakout installed under the hood. This was done back before all the adaptor came out. You just opened the box and switched wires under the hood to change the truck to match the trailer. This was handy when towing trailers not wired the same. I have not seen a breakout box like that in years.

6. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

I have wired and rewired many trucks and trailers.There is standard color coding for trailers.If the wiring on either mixed up start over and do it right.I have owned an 90,97 chevy trucks and the adapters were avalable for both.

7. terrapro

There is no adaptor, this is a 1ton truck with a distribution block on the rear crossmember. We can get all other lights to work but not the brake lights.

Now we have a new problem though, the guy that is helping crossed the trailer plug wires and now my flashers/hazards won't work and I cannot find the flasher/relay anywhere and none of the fuses are blown. Any ideas? :cry::cry::cry:

8. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

Look under dash on driver side should be what they call a convenience center.Turn flasher is the larger black square bottom left.Hazard flasher should be a round sliver canister behind the light switch behind the dash panel.

9. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

Just checked a Friends and his turn flasher was bottom right.

10. terrapro

Thanks, found the turn signal flasher but not the hazard. Replaced the turn and it works. Just need to track down the hazard flasher which at the moment I have no idea.