1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck & Tralier Lettering..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawns2nv, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Lawns2nv

Lawns2nv LawnSite Member

My question is about county or "township" commercial vechicals. I just purchased a enclosed trailer, & i want to put my company name & logo across it. I park my truck & trailer at my home. My truck has magnet signs that a take off at the end of the day. Do people really drive around to see if you have commerical equipment at your house? One of the reasons i bought a enclosed trailer was to dispaly my name & logo for advertising. I havent checked with the county rules yet, but i dont no if i should letter it or just leave the trailer with no letters. My neighbors are pretty cool so i dont think i will have aproblem with it. What problems has anyone had with "commercial" trucks or trailers parked at their home. Thanks..
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

None here.
  3. olabob

olabob LawnSite Member
    from TX

Aluminum signs work well. Do you have stell mesh sides or are you talking about those white trailers.

4. Lawns2nv

Lawns2nv LawnSite Member

Its a Fiberglass enclosed trailer
  5. augs dad

augs dad LawnSite Member

You need to check 2 things...what are the municipal rules re: running a business out of your home and parking business related equipment on the street. Also, and very important, does your subdivision or 'neighborhood' have 'regulations' on whether you can run ANY business out of your home...some do some don't. Whether they are enforced is a dice you have to roll. I live in a sub-div that says no to any business. Even if I park my truck and trailer in my huge drivway its a no no. In fact my neighbor (a real flaming ------- reported a painting contractor for parking one new shiny van in his driveway... the van is now gone. I now park the truck in my garage and the trailer and equip in a farmers barn not far away...costs me only $40 a month...much cheaper than those storage rental places. Your insurance company will cover your trailer and equip stored elsewhere as long as you specify the address and the builiding type....you can try it your way but if I were you I would have a back up storage option in hand in case one of your "cool" neighbors gets a hair crossways...people can get strange in a hearbeat...good luck...Gary in PA
  6. They sure do.

But even if it's strictly forbidden, sometimes you can get a variance.

Check it out, zoning laws vary from one neighborhood to the next.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

no rules like that here.
  8. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Every town is diffrenrent. I know here in NJ it's a law that you have to have the name, phone # and city origin on your trucks and trailers as well as the GVW on the trucks. We are constantly on top of this due to the fact in 2 towns where we work in there is a cop who's only job is to constantly pull over and inspect commercial vehicles.
  9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Do They check ? You betcha' ! There is a county employee who's sole job is taking pictures of property around here for tax purposes.If they see your equipment out they make note of it. Most complaints are usually generated by the guy next door or down the street.
  10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

interesting topic and something often overlooked i think, i must say though u are thinking great about ur advertising idea, first good thing u did was purchase an enclosed trailer, second is the idea of advertsing, third ur concern about the legal side. good job!