Lawn Care Forum banner

Truck Transmission Fluid Change

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  We do 4 U 
#1 ·
How often do you change your trucks Transmission fluids being that you are towing a trailer?

My truck I bought new and currently has 17,000 miles on it. Wasn't sure if it's time to do anything to the trans or not.. Thanks,
GaryHow often do you change your trucks Transmission fluids being that you are towing a trailer?

My truck I bought new and currently has 17,000 miles on it. Wasn't sure if it's time to do anything to the trans or not.. Thanks,
Gary

#4 ·
youre in jersey i don't know if you plow...

i definately consider usage over miles. even in tranny fluid, and obviously in oil. tranny, at least at 25 000 kilometres, and less if say a winter was bad. thats reg. for us, not synthetic.

oil we use hours of use, i've done changes at 1200 km, synthetic oil.

#8 ·
Originally posted by MOW ED
fluid and filter once a year. Even with that there is still a few quarts that stay in the converter.

I would love to change to all synthetic but I cant find a quick lube place that can do it.
Try to find a small locally owned shop to do your changes. Where I take mine I bring my oil and filter and they change it for $10. That is the engine oil on my PSD. Dunno what a trans would run. I have a manual and changed that myself. Granted I do all my tire biz there and most other work. I have known the manager there for over 7 years.
And I run Amsoil front to back.

#9 ·
I'd certainly recommend a good synthetic in the transmission of a work truck. Like Brickman, I run Amsoil front to back in my Dodge. I gained a little fuel mileage when I completely switched over, can comfortably run a little longer between changes, and am confident that the lubed parts will last that much longer. It does cost more, but I think it's worth it.
As far as how often, use the severe schedule in your owner's manual with conventional, and the regular schedule with synthetic would be my recommendation.

Randy

#12 ·
Just a side note on trans fliud changes. If your truck has a lot of miles on it or it is older and the trans fliud has never been changed, DO NOT change it. what happens is the trans gets "used" to the older, thicker fluid and when you change it with newer thinner fliud, it starts to slip and will ruin the trans. I found this out the hard way. I bought a truck with 100,000 miles on it, changed the trans. fliud and then bought a new trans a month later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.