truck vs trailer rating

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by unkownfl, Feb 7, 2012.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Could I legally tow a trailer rated more than what my truck is even though the trailers actual weight is within the trucks limits? Say I pull a 12k rated dump trailer but it only weighs 8k and my truck is rated 10k? This is assuming my tongue weight is within specs too.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes you can safely do that but the DOT will not see it that way. You need to have a CDL to pull a trailer rated over 10K and used for commercial purposes other than farming in most states. This is why you will see alot of trailers that come with a pair of 5,200lb axles under them only rated for 9,990lbs.

3. unkownfl

I have a Class A +hazmat

4. knox gsl

You should be golden then.

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

People running at the mouth again without knowing what they are talking about. Just because your trailer is over 10K doesn't mean you need ranch a CDL. If the combo is under 26K you don't need a CDL.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but your way wrong.
    You Do not need a CDL to pull a 10k trailer. You only need DOT Numbers if your truck and trailer are rated over 10k combined. Which is basically a 1/2 ton truck with a tandem axle trailer, but only if its for commercial use.....(you have your business name on the side of the truck)

You need a CDL if your truck alone or truck and trailer combined is rated over 26,000#.

7. knox gsl

Well to be honest it don't really matter to me or the OP that much as we both have a class A CDL. The last time I looked at the requiments for trailers the most you could be rated for in a commercial without CDL was 10K. Seems like you need to be a lawyer to be able to do anything anymore.

8. unkownfl

I'm not sure if this is true for every state. I believe the DOT number thing is a State thing? This whole DOT is nuts. I can't think of a single person that has a CDL that actually knows anything besides how to drive the truck and inspect the truck. The test doesn't ask when you need to go into a weigh station what numbers to have etc.

9. professional

professional LawnSite Member

If the trailer is rated/tagged for 10001# or more you need a combination CDL. If you are driving a straight truck rated/tagged for 26001# or more you need a class A CDL. The pulling truck needs to be registered for the amount of GVWR of the truck and trailer together. I asked a Motor Carrier Officer to come to my place and perform a 'stop' on my set up.(I would recommend this) He said that he would have cited me out on the road(which is way I asked him to come to my place) with how my truck was registered. It was registered for the GVWR of the truck only. He said that anything over that amount is a weight infraction. I went to the DMV and had it changed, it is $80 more per year.

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

WOW!!! you couldn't be more wrong with your info. As long as the combo is under 26001# then you dont need a CDL regardless of the GVWR of the trailer. You need a Class B for a straight truck over 26000# and even then you can pull a trailer up to 10k.

You are correct about the truck being plated for the GCWR of both the truck and the trailer