1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

truck went into the shop

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Dec 15, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

So last night i brought my baby up to the dealer because her 4x4 quit working for good. The problem is the encoder motor, and that alone is going to run near $1k to fix. then they told me that my front end is falling apart, and needs all new steering components, which i knew, the steering has been getting sloppy on me. so they tell me that i can have the truck back on tuesday (after the big snow storm) for a little under $2k. it kinda sucks, i was gonna buy a new truck in the spring, but i can't justify it right now, so i guess i'll have to keep this one around for a while longer.

2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain. Hit a HUGE pothole a couple of weeks ago. Cost me 1200 to have a new steering rack put on.

Sucks big time,good luck!!

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Stop abusing your truck, and only tow what its rated for and it will last you. From reading your other posts you dog this truck and treat it like a 3/4 ton.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

And you want to go cross country towing some 100k horses?

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Good point. I saw that thread and was wondering as well....

That sucks about the Truck? I'm pretty sure you didnt have it that long right?? For an 9 y/o truck, its time for parts like that to start wideling down and needing replacement! Just hop you didnt pay a whole lot for the truck.

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

well i paid $8k for it 8 moths ago, since then i have put over 35,000 miles on her, driven her daily through the mountains, and hauled trailer all over the place that either exceded, or met it's tow rating. so if after this i'll have basicaly a rebuilt front end. the entire break system was redone under warranty, as was the rear axle. so i think she'll hold up for another 60k just fine after this. other than 1k for new load range E A/T tires, i haven't put any money into this truck, and i drive her VERY HARD.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Wow 35k in 8 months? Thats a hell of alot of driving.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is what some of us keep jabbering on and on about...
    I would never even consider that kind of expense for repairs, if it's that far gone then it gets replaced, but as much so because in my case the Blue Book is just around 2-3 thousand so any repair much in excess of a grand needs to be planned accordingly.

So all right, one more time: Those 1/2 ton pickups are really just a 5.0 sedan with a truck body on it. Take your pick, Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Mustang GT, Lincoln Marks, they really honestly are all just about the same dang thing with their 5.0 engines and the AOD trannies, yes, really. We take a different body and the frame might be changed around some, as is the interior and this and that, but engine and transmission and brakes and suspension and all that is the same thing from one to the next.
    That is what makes assembly line manufacturing cost effective and production efficient, keeping to the standards.

The 1/2 ton is barely a step above, a few parts are heavier duty but it's just not designed for full time WORK, heck even the wheels are 5 lug and the brake system is literally the same thing.
    The 1/2 ton is designed for the homeowner or the semi-serious part-timer who uses it for towing once or twice a year (not much over a few times, maybe every weekend but never beyond), these folks are somewhere between being absolutely right and out of their minds but the fact remains they just HAVE to have a full size pick up and these folks are whom the 1/2 ton is made for.

Most 1/2 tons never see heavy duty work, they're the cheapest shiniest trucks out there because they're inexpensive to make and most are used more for commutes than anything else. The fact that 1/2 tons are in the majority or the most-often light truck sold is just because there exist many more folks out there who THINK they need a truck than folks who DO need one.

But for folks who need a TRUCK, the 1/2 ton is too light.

The 3/4 tons suspension and steering and rear-end and transmission and engine and frame and every component of the 3/4 is beefed up and a heavier duty grade, the 3/4 ton is the first true light truck.

So before you justify yourself into another piece of garbage, get a 3/4 ton for your next truck and I can almost guarantee you will never run into these nightmares again, at the very least your problem spells will be noticeably fewer and farther in between.

If money is an issue get an older one, a 1995 model 3/4 is almost certainly at least as good as a 2005 1/2 ton, probably better in terms of how long it will last for the dollar.

The 3/4's are not cheap and a good one for a good price is really hard to find, I'd start saving money and start looking, you can't finance these things because a lot of times when and where you find one financing is the last thing you or the seller wants to think about, I buy all of mine cash.

It takes 6-12 months to save the 3-4 thousand required, then because it's an older vehicle you really need to dump another 500-1000 into it for starters and 1500-2000 is not unusual, but on the other side of the coin it takes at least that long to find a good deal, too.

So, start saving and start looking, even if you don't have the money at the very least you'll gain education
    and insight into the world of 3/4 tons.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

'02 2500HD's are going for around $10,000. Towing? Get a 4.10 rear with a 6.0L and you're set........one of the best engines ever made, solid transmission..........all around solid truck.

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

If you didn't do soo much driving all over hell, you would probably have enough cash for a new truck and own a truck actually worth something.