Truck with Ramp pics

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Howard Roark, May 30, 2005.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well I don't post very much, but I finally got my tailgate ramp so I thought I'd post a picture of my mowing only truck for all to see as I usually enjoy seeing what everyone else uses. I'm getting the lettering done next week If I have time, which isn't likely. After some fine tuning I'll most likely duplicate this truck, as this is what works great for me in my area. Fits in the garage every night, no insurance or registration on a trailer, and in and out of properties quickly.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

SWEET! Where can I find out more info on that ramp? How much was it?
    Is that a Blower Mate on the left? What kind of trimmer rack is that?
  3. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Love the ramp, I can remember using 2 boards and it was hell. Nice looking truck!
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, the 2 board thing with the splinters! I know! Treated lumber splinters hurt for days.
  5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice set up, I like much for the ramp, how long to set it up.....thanks
  6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't mean this in a bad way, but why do you need a huge ramp for a 21" mower? I could see it for a 32 or 36, but not a 21".
  7. Howard Roark

from Texas

Truck is a 2002 ranger I bought with 16,000 miles on it for $7600. The ramp is called a Tailgater Ramp custom made by Sherrer Contracting in Idaho. They retail for about $850, wholesale about $550. The rack is a trimminator by Jungle Jim's, and yes that is a blower mate on the left side of the bed. Once I'll tinker with the ideal of gettin a bed rack that goes across the back windshield to hang the blower and outfit the fuel cans. For now it's working great though. We usually run two 21" Toro prolines but I'm currently testing out the 26" metro with a 21". Once the bugs are worked out with the 26 I'm guessing this will be the winning combo. 2 Shindaiwa trimmers (switching to Stihl soon) and RedMax blower rounds it out. Also in the process of fitting the water cooler, which will hopefully be this week.

I built this route up to almost 90 accounts now just part time, and it will most likely max out at 160-190 depending on the ratio of weekly to bi-weekly accounts. As soon as it maxes I'll duplicate. :waving:
  8. Howard Roark

from Texas

Because we have multiple yards close together we never know which piece of equipment we'll need during our time in different areas. If one person gets done trimming he can go grab another mower without having to pull someone off another yard to help him lift the proline off the truck. This was a great design that allowed us to use full use of the ranger's truck space and not fill it up with ramps, and is extremely safe and easy for even one person to use. Currently testing out the 26 metro as well, which even with 2 people is a chore to lift out of the truck, especially 25 times a day in the Texas heat. :dizzy:
  9. Howard Roark

from Texas

I installed the ramp in 30 minutes myself.
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you have a nice little set up with 90 accounts.

Have you considerd flat bedding the truck when you expand the business more? Gain alittle bit of room from that and you could probably toss some air bags under it to have a better payload.

I like that set up though, very professional looking in my opinion.