1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Truck with tow package....needs brake controller?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by drsogr, May 10, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well guys I bought my new work truck. Its a 2500 suburban, of course it has the tow package. The problem is, I pulled my new trailer home today and the brakes weren't working on the trailer. The suburban doesn't have a brake controller, but I figured it was some how built in since it had the tow package? Should the brakes have worked on the trailer, or do I need to install a brake controller?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the brake controller is seperate from a tow package, ford is the only company (i know of) that integrates a brake unit from the factory (optionally). So no, your brakes on the trailer will not function until you have a brake controller. You should get a good one like a Tekonosha Prodigy would be my vote.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I second the recommendation of the Tekonsha Prodigy :) They also sell a manufacturer-specific harness for about 10 bucks or so that should make it a true plug-n-play deal for you.

4. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

The pigtail for the controller is under your dash. If not, you would REALLY be wishing you got the tow package. It should be plug and play, otherwise you would be running wires all over the truck to hook it up.

5. drsogr

I really didn't see any kind of pigtail hanging down. About where should I be looking.....its probably tucked up in there and I just didn't see it.

6. drsogr

I will take your guys recommendation about the tekonsha....I really don't know what to look for in one, except for that I didn't care for the last one that I had.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Get that baby wired up so you can use the trailer brakes. Driving without trailer brakes is like driving blind for me.

8. drsogr

LOL...I just got the trailer today!

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure where it will be on your truck. On my F350 it is up under the dash, kind of in line with the stereo and a/c control, but near the bottom of the panel. Yours is probably tucked up near the same place, and is probably held up with a plastic clip. The specific harness they sell for it just interfaces your truck harness with their controller.

Here's a pic or how I mounted mine. I drilled a hole through the cubby and the truck's harness was pretty close, just behind that panel.

F350 0171.jpg

10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I have had five and never one complaint! I hope you find that pigtail. My chevy didn't have one and it cost me about $240 to get it all hooked up!.:hammerhead: :dizzy: I'll try to remember to get a pic up when I get home tonight!