Truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Jul 21, 2005.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I'm brand new and going to start into full time lawn care starting next year. I've been reading a lot and I was wondering if my 2002 toyota tacoma v6 would be ok to pull a small trailer containing a 36' exmark hydro wb, 26 inch snapper, trimmer and back blower without putting to much strain on it. I believe my towing limit is 5000 lbs.

2. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You're fine, the equipment doesn't even reach 1,000 lbs in combined weight.

3. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

Allright sounds good, thanks for the help.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The equipment may not add up to a 1000 but what about the trailer?
    I pull a 6x12 which weighs 1000 pounds empty and I would not use anything less than a 3/4 ton truck like a 250/2500 series for that.
    now, perhaps with a 5x8...

5. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

True Harbor - I have both a Tacoma and a 2500 Chevy..... both will pull what you describe fine without much wear n tear. When you decide to get more and heavier equipment as your business grows, move to the larger truck. Good luck.

6. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Toyota makes a truck?

7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

My 96 Toy does fine pulling both trailers, my 12 enclosed and 16 open....your will do fine, I am getting tired of having to clean it out everynight....grass clippings, I might get an older Dodge work truck with vinyl seats....but you Toy will do just fine..... :)