1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Regal lawn care, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Regal lawn care

Regal lawn care LawnSite Member

i'm 16, i have a good car with a powerful engine. 2000 pontiac bonneville.:weightlifter: I was thinking, do i even need a truck to haul my trailer around? I have a 6X12 trailer which i pull w/ my dads truck, but he's selling it. i could buy a hitch for my car for only $160 instead of buying a truck. Who else hauls with a car?
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you plan on putting on the trailer? How much weight do you estimate?

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

yeah if you dont mind looking like a hack towing with a bonneville.
  4. WJW Lawn

Dude....he's 16 lol
  5. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I would most definately get a truck. When i was 16 i had an 84 Ford 4x4 3/4 ton, one of the best trucks i ever had. But with a truck, not only will you be able to stop a fully loaded trailer (kind of important), the vehicle will be more versatile, and look much more professional. There is one here in town that pulls a trailer behind the car, it just looks scrubbish to me.
  6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

The Bonny would get you where you need to go. But the weight of the trailer and equipment is a big factor. Can you buy the truck from Dad? Make payments to him maybe? Sell the Bonny and get an older truck for the same value? A truck would be a tremendous advantage as stated already. Even an old truck pulling the equipment is better then a Bonny pulling it. Just some ideas to throw around.
  7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your Bonneville may be a good car with a powerful engine, but towing a 6x12 around with it mowing lawns will soon turn it into a pile of junk, especially with, no delicate way of saying it, a 16 year old foot driving it. You can probably find a decent truck for what your car is worth, and it will be without a doubt something that will work better and hold up better than your Bonneville.
  8. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I would bank a couple thousand dollars and find yourself a nice older truck, something like a 68-88 chevy pick up. Maybe if you find one that needs it, get a cheapo paintjob and letter it. A clean older truck looks great, especially a classic 68-72, nothing looks better than one of those.
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd also be worried about the transmission in the bonneville. the 4t40e and 4t60e transmissions were not designed with towing in mind.
  10. WJW Lawn

Yea..these guys are right...if its a good car...sell it...get a truck with the money you make. Then you dont go out of pocket.