Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HOOKMEUPRED, Oct 20, 2002.

HOOKMEUPRED LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any of you guys use a box truck instead of pick up and trailer. I don't have any place to keep equipment and I have to get a truck and a trailer. I was looking at possibly getting a truck like the Isuzu NPR w/ a lift gate. That way all I would have to do is lock it up and park it. Thanks in advance for your comments.
  2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

lift gates are worthless and a hassle. supreme makes a unit in various lenth's called the vanscaper. it has a beaver tail and side access doors. before you ask for a site do a search
  3. Anything but american made would be my vote. With an American made truck you will be lucky to keep it running long enough to make it to the job site.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

That's a different kind of comment you'ld expect from a good southern boy.

I love my Ford F-250 and 8x24 enclosed trailer combo. I don't have to worry about it at night either. Oh and BTW it always gets me to and from EVERY jobsite. It's a 1999 with 44,000 on it and not a single problem. Change the out, rotate the tires and put gas in it.

5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

well Lawn Choupique,
    being from the motor city, i tend to disagree with your warped knowledge. on a bonus note, most of us BUSINESS MEN dont have to drive a 1970 ford... so with that jed, i just wanted you to know... i am dumber now, just reading your post...
  6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

i am dumber now

Well... at least you admit it.
  7. MSYardman

MSYardman LawnSite Member
    from MS & LA

I'm testing one Isuzu NPR right now. We've had it for six months. Frankly, the crew leader hates it. It is rough riding and he complains all the time about having to "climb" up into the box. Also, we haven't figured out where to put all the debris we normally throw into the bed of the pickups.

We have a 22' box with a 4' dovetail. The gate/ramp is mesh and has been a problem. It is too heavy. We are working on putting some kind of hydralics on it to make it easier to lift

Super Lawn Truck makes a hydralic ramp, but they are considerably more than we paid. I know because I checked them out.

I like the truck. It is a rolling billboard for our business. You can't help but notice our name and number. It is easier to drive that a pickup and trailer. Plus, it has 18' flat feet of space plus the 4' of dovetail inside the box. The ramp is too steep for our guys to walk continuously in and out. But, we are going to make it work because it is the best solution.

GMC owns Isuzu. They take the Isuzu name off the front and plaster on "GMC". Then, they drop the price a couple of thousand. I've also heard a lot of good things about Mitsubiti, but that they are a little more expensive that the Isuzu.

Good luck.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search on cube vans, my pics are here somewhere. It works out real good for us. Right now we are looking for a dump trailer for leaves.
  9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I think having a box truck like the Isuzu NPR would be a neat setup. Or the Mitsubishi Fuso-look on page B6 in the Sept. issue of Turf Magazine.
  10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

take a good look at your biz and you decide what best fits your needs. to each his own