truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by brinlee lawn, Feb 7, 2005.

1. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok you are a one man band, you have a 16 ft open trailer that you haul your equip. on. Equipment consists of 1 60 in. dixie. 1 toro 36 in. w.b. 1 toro 21 in. and of course all the handheld equipment. Your accounts are kinda spread out all within about 30 miles in either direction, you are going to use this truck for business and personal.

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would have a nice 3/4 ton ext.cab if it were me but remember your going to be mad when it gets scratched and it will happen even if your careful.

3. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I do simular as you and do fine with a F150 4x4 ext.cab with just a 4.6l. Works well for fun and work.

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

If you donèt need to haul much in the bed other than lawn debris, a 1500é150 will be fine. If you are going to do any earth or gravel hauling, a 3/4 ton us great.

Either way, I like to have electric brakes on the trailer.

As was mentioned above, it will get scratched and dirty, so maybe laying out 40K + on a new one is not the best idea.

5. brinlee lawn

I do have brakes on the trailer. It is not going to be brand new probably a 98-01. Any opinons on gas or diesel???

6. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I would go with a 3/4 ton truck, 4 door, diesel model. You get better brakes, tires that can carry more weight, and the diesel will get better mileage than a gas pulling the same load with plenty of power. Last year I switched from gas to diesel and get about 4 more miles to the gallon with a lot more pulling power.

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd get a 3/4 ton diesel 4 door long bed. With a 4 door long bed you have the best of both worlds.

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

he wants a truck not a semi

just get a 3/4 ton extended cab who cares about the people sitting in the back.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember to always leave room to grow. Lets say that you can get by with a 1/2 ton truck now but you have to always think that you might get a bigger trailer down the road due to growth.

10. brinlee lawn

Everybody is making good points I am leaning toward a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 extended cab.