on the Street

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Nov 14, 2007.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Talked with 3 independents today. The "big boys" are going to drop their hourly rate on trucks.......that's right, reduce.......not raise. These independents are worried as heck, 'cause with rising fuel, they are getting squeezed as it is. Here is what I deduced: The big boys are raising the price of materials to cover the decrease in trucking charge with a big picture in mind of knocking out the independents or smaller trucking firms, hence gaining a control of the trucking in this valley. That is the only scenario I can imagine to be happening, a smart business ploy from those that "have" to reduce the competition. So, if you think there is money to be made by owning a 10 wheeler, there is another thing to think about. The pits have already posted on their scales that material prices will increase here shortly.....I would bet the truck rate reduction will coincide nicely with the timing of material increase.
  2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have talked to several truckers in the area this year that are having a hard time surviving and some have been well established for years and years. Building around my area was booming four years ago. It has come to a halt here and most surrounding areas. Between the high fuel prices, no work, and all other expenses rising allot of these guys are bailing out.
  3. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

Are you guys talking about me? Well stablished I am ,have been for the last 12 years but I don't know how much longer Im going to survive ,starting oct 1 it cost $600 to get a 20 ton load of #57 rock and thats before it gets delivered ,my runs are 200 miles round trip and it will take about $120 on fuel per load two loads a day per truck ,Im an owner operator with two trucks should do 20 loads a week ,Im hardly doing between 5 and 12 loads per week , it is rough ,many truckers around here think that Im lucky to have so much work, so you can imagine how are they doing ,last week I picked up a nice little job it was going to keep both trucks busy for a month and a half ,then they dropped the bomb ,How long can you wait to get paid ?I told em need the money by the end of the week ,because Im paying for material and that along is going to be close to 20 grands per week ,that was the last time I heard from them ,mean while we'll hang around .
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, 20 tons of 57 stone here costs under $250. Geez how blessed are we here.
  5. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

Sounds like the politicians when talking tax just means they're increasing taxes elsewhere. Lean times ahead for the "have nots".
  6. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know how people survive anymore it is getting scary real scary im young but I know a lot of guys around here that are strugling.. How muhc do most of you guys spend in diesal fuel.. its 362 today at my local truck stop
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I spend as much as it takes to keep my tanks full.......may sound silly, not meant to be......but it seems I am always filling up. I filled up just the other day and it was $500 plus. One truck holds 100 gallons, another 150 gallons, other tanks and stuff must be another 100 gallons.........

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

3.69 HERE at the pump
  9. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought some diesel for my pickup over the weekend for $3.60 a gallon. Boy I can remember the good old days where you could joy ride all day long and not hardly cost you a dime. Now I drive the old wore out 93 Lumina car back and forth to work since it gets better mileage and gas is cheaper. I sure dont fill up any of the vehicles anymore unless Im going on a trip. It may cost the same money down the road but anymore it is a bunch of money to cough up at once. I can say it is seriously hurting me. Not to mention everything else is going up also because of fuel.
  10. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Trucking is not lucrative anymore. Truck prices are through the roof, repairs are astronomical, every visit to the dealer is always at least 700-1000. A simple oil change 40 qts and filters and lube chassis $400. AND ON TOP OF IT THE COMPANIES WANT TO RUN YOU AND YOUR TRUCK INTO THE GROUND FOR NOTHING!! Their end is clear of all the expenses, they just pick up the phone,lol. And when you refuse a run they are all surprised when you dont want to run deadhead to RI then load in Vt and bring it to Ohio for $700 bucks,wtf??? Fuel is going to cost that much. I dont do long runs anymore, short runs pay more and is less wear and tear on the truck.