Truckloader vs. Tarp

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by tony b, Nov 12, 2011.

1. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

36HP billy goat leaf loader on a dump trailer. That holds over 25 cubic yards of leaves!

trailer.jpg

2. tony b

tony b LawnSite Member

As stated in my original post we only have a 20 hp billygoat. When we do curbside cleanup i use it, even though we spend almost 20% of our time unclogging the pickup tube. But I still have to say while you guys are pushing leaves to the curb from the backyard my guys will have leaves piled, shredded and tarped to go in the truck on weekly cleanups. One timers with mountains of leaves are different but I don't typically do that kind of work. Maybe if I had a 60 or 80hp loader I would feel differently.

3. tony b

tony b LawnSite Member

Well by god! ..... Bring your crew on down, I have a bunch of yards we can test your hypothisis on. I'll even buy the gas. lol

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I am not going to answer the original question exactly as you asked it since I have never used the tarp method but I will give you my experiences and opinion.

I first started out with a 3 bag exmark setup and a separate mower with mulch kit installed. I first would mulch the leaves and then go over them with the 3 bagger. By mulching the leaves 1st you would not have to empty the bags near as much which is the time killer. Then I would empty the debris on the trailer which meant I either had to go and empty the trailer or take a 2nd truck/trailer for the debris.

My present system is a dump bed with a debris loader and a hustler with a BacVac dump collection system. Now I just pick up with the BacVac and dump the leaves near the loader and then suck them up after I am through. WAY more efficient. Occasionally I will mulch the leaves before vacuuming them up if the build up is real heavy. This method has saves tremendous time and you do not need 2 trucks. One person can work alone and make good time if needed.

It sound like some of the yards you are doing on a one-time wait till they all fall deal. I have gotten away from these and pretty much will agree to do these on a spaced out schedule according to how fast the leaves are falling. The reason being when the leaves are allowed to build up too long it causes jams, broken belts and etc. Point being if I am doing a clean up for $200 and I break a $60 belt there goes profit plus down time and frustration. I might do one timers if it is a yard that does not have a lot of trees and the build up will not be excessive.

5. appalachianoutdoors

appalachianoutdoors LawnSite Senior Member

For smaller operations like mine, I have had good luck with a 880 Trac Vac and a Little Wonder wheeled blower. Sometimes if the leaves are thick and I'm have to go too slow mowing and sucking, I will blow up a big pile in back yard and pull up on the Trac Vac, unhook the intake and suck it up like a loader and dump at the street. Most all front yards, I will blow to the curb with the wheeled blower. If I can easily blow the back yard out to the curb with the blower, I will do that also.
    Question for everyone - What are your opinions of the JRCO leaf plow? Am thinking of purchasing one for next year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. teamgreendude

teamgreendude LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just state my opinion here but I've found mulching them first then using the leaf loader worked pretty good. However though I've also found that if you don't have an 8ft dump bed or dump trailer it's not as efficient. So I just mulched them with my wright stander and threw them back into the truck, I would like to here from someone who runs a truck loader/dump trailer setup is it better ?

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

8. tony b

tony b LawnSite Member

9. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of leaf loader do you have?

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Billy Goat 16hp.

leaf.jpg