TRUCKS - Help with decision

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by meets1, Aug 13, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have 5 chevy's. Newest is an 2006 4 door LT 2500HD with everything, 6.0 engine. My truck, only has 16K on it and I usually trade "my" truck every 2 - 3 years.

Next 2 trucks are 2003 - Chevy and GMC 2500HD reg. cab - each having 78 - 80K on them.

Next truck is 97 GMC with 125K, ext cab 2500 with Alum dump box

Next truck is a 91 Chevy with 126K, reg cab, 1500 with a dump bed on it.

I use my GM card alot and I need to start redeeming points/money.

All these trucks but "my personal" truck all have plows on them as well for snow.

If I was to trade "my" truck - I would get a new 08 chevy/GMC 4 door LT 6.0 engine and leather. If I was to trade another work truck - i would get a plow prep pgk and 2500HD reg cab and think about a dump insert and maybe gas/diesel. The 2 03 trucks also have 5th wheel hook up which I do use as well. Work trucks to me - biz plan has them running to 100 - 125K.

Money wise & your thoughts what truck would you suggest I trade and why?

I like keeping things up but on the same token - the older trucks really owe me nothing and beside a battery or a light or fuses - I haven't had any trouble. All trucks are pd for. Thing is get a new work truck - change over the plow or sell with plow and get new??

Thanks for the input!
  2. meets1

Alright guys - were in the biz forum and 17 looks but no replies?
  3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

id trade the newest one, its always to nice to have a good persoanl truck
  4. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd keep them all if possible. And only buy another vehicle once necessary.
  5. meets1

why did this thread get moved? Isn't this the biz forum to help make a $ decision - steer the company? best value for a truck, the most bang for the buck, options to play with for which truck makes most sense to trade?
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I agree! You work hard for your money. Enjoy it
  7. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

A brand new truck will depreciate quickly, so unless you are unhappy with your 06 I would keep it. I would upgrade whichever truck is most important/used most often in your actual day to day business duties as it is the one making you the most money. I am all for having a nice new truck, but that 06 can't be too bad.
  8. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

sell the truck yourself locally, and just buy the new one using your GM card, and normal purchase. see if any 07s with huge rebates are available
  9. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If you sell the truck yourself don't forget that you have to take a capital gain and pay the sales tax difference if you don't make it a dealer trade. Depending on your tax bracket you have to get up to 40% more for your truck just to break even with the tax man. And don't think the dealers don't know it!!!! I always find a buyer for my trucks and then do a "dealer trade". Make the dealer process the paperwork to sell me a new truck or I buy it elsewhere. Good luck on your decision.
  10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I know you just like the look of the new gmc's! I know i do, and its making me crazzy... just a few more months till i get mine!