1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trucks? Newer Or Older

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DSLND, May 15, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

Been doing a lot of debating lately even though it is early. In October of 2008 i plan on buying my truck so i can start plowing with my dad by my side with my driver's permit (get license of Feb. 2009). Now i love the style of the older 90's model of the Chevy 2500HD. But on the other hand i would like a newer truck for a newer image. The truck will also serve as my daily driver unless my dad gets rid of his Jeep, then i will use that to drive to school and go take estimates. The truck will be lettered, have a 7'6" or 8' Western Plow on front, E-Z Dump Dump Insert in the bed and a tail gate spreader. I would like to spend $15k or less and with the thought of an older truck, i could really keep my account at a high basis for later purchases. The truck will not be "abused" but will be worked hard. What's your input? Thanks! -Mitch-

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Having a new truck isn't going to make you any more money than the guy running something that's 20 years old. Sure guys will argue that with a newer truck you'll have less of a risk of a breakdown, which will cost you money, but I'm good with a wrench in my hand and have chosen to drive trucks a few years old. My F150 has 200K on it, doesn't even cross my mind when I'm driving it. Truck is very, very clean body wise, people think it has half the miles it actually has on it. I'd say buy something a little older, but find one that's clean and you'll have the last laugh. A professional image for cheap is the route to take, you'll save on insurance and you can take the money saved to cover rising fuel prices :drinkup: Plus, older trucks are easier and cheaper to get parts for. I've found new motors for my truck for $1500 right here in WA, tough to beat that. I could drop a new motor in the truck, a new clutch, new rear-end if I needed it, new shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, tires, and be out the door for $3500. I only paid $2K for my truck and I could do a ton of work to it and only be into the truck for $5500. After all that work she'd go another 13 years without a doubt. Really depends on how bad you want a new truck. Me personally, I could care less how new my rig is.

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

As young as you are, definetly go for a clean, good running older truck.

I would go with a '96 or newer Chevy/GMC. Get one with a 350 engine. The Vortec 350 came out in '96, and the interior was upgraded in '95. The Vortec 350 (different heads) is a great engine. I've worked them hard and they always had good power and were very reliable. They're not bad to work on either.

If you're going to plow snow, get an extended cab. You'll be glad you did for many reasons. Also, get some Timbren load boosters in the front to keep the truck from sagging with a plow on. You might want them for the rear too if you're installing a dump insert.

You should be able to find a nice truck for $15,000 or less. You can even find one with only around 60-75K miles if you do your homework and be patient. It might not be as nice as a new truck, but your wallet will be happy.:cool2:

4. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

Id say get a obs (88-98) chevy k2500. Those look the best and with the 4l80e trans and 350 vortec they are reliable. My 98 k1500hd has the 350 in it with 146k on it and the miles don't bother me at all. Make sure you get a 2500 with 8 lugs, they made 6 lug light duty 2500s also. Also parts for the older chevys are easy to come by. Also the 2500s had 3 engine choices- 6.5l diesel, 7.4l bbc, or the 350 sbc. I'm pretty big into the older chevy trucks so PM me if you have questions when I get enough posts to activate it.

5. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

btw, how do I get my Pms to work?? I thought it was like 10 posts or something until they kicked in?

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Have a 79 Ford F-150 and a 96 K-2500. I don't mind the 350, the 4l80e is not a bad transmission.

Something dependable, something that looks nice. Doesn't need to be brand new.

7. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

If you'd be paying in cash, I'd put $10,000 down and finance the rest on a new Gasser pickup.

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

JMHO, if you want to spend your time landscaping, buy the new truck. If you want to spend your time either working on your truck or waiting while it's in the shop buy the old one. Better yet, buy two so there's a good chance at least one will be running. I've done both, the overall cost is around the same. I like landscaping much better than wrenching, so I bought a new truck, and I'm much happier now. YMMV.

9. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys think along the lines of a Duramax Diesel? With the way gas is, i think it will be benefical. -Mitch-

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I agree w/ Scag48. I would buy a good used truck. People forget to tell you new trucks break down too! For 15k you could buy a very dependable truck.

It is all about the bottom line... it is not how you look... it is about profit. I would try to stay out of debt as much as possible.