Trucks or Trailers

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by eskerlite, Aug 15, 2006.

1. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

What do others use for thier lighting business to cart around tools supplies and workers? Trailers or Trucks? I use a pick-up now but am thinking of putting a utility body on for lighting and Water feature tools. I tried the trailer but it was a burden in tight area.

2. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

"I tried the trailer but it was a burden in tight area."

Why didn't you tell Nightscapes paul that before he went out and dropped some coin on his?

3. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

Got a new trailer with lettering this year and will replace with a cargo van next year. Trailer is nice to work out of, but to many inconveniences. Tight spaces,long windy driveways. Alot of homes here are way off of busy roads so you have to get up the driveway. Always switching over tools for small service and consultation calls. I'd rather have everything in a van and use it all the time. Plus the billboard we thought it would be hasn't yielded one call.

4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

We have a trailer and I am very happy with it. Also are getting a van. Believe it will have its own benefits. NY, I don't recal when we got our first call bacause someone saw our trailer...think it was at least three years and we are in a small town. We started working in a larger community, about 300,000 population, 2 years ago and haven't had anyone call because they saw our trailer. I have had people call us and say they saw a job or an article and then later mention they remember seeing our trailer. I think your trailer will be helpful in ways (advertising wise) that you might not easily put your finger on. It's funny but our name is starting to be known even if people don't knowwhat we do. some think we are a band or a dj but they are remembering the name. keep pulling it everywhere you can, it'll pay off.

5. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer trailers personally. While sometimes it's a pain to pull it around, the convenience of it is worth it in itself. We're on our third trailer now which is a 7x16, and will never go to working straight out of a truck or van. Just certain things like outlets, lights, and the big storage cabinets are nice to have. Also when it rains, it's easier to just throw everything into the back of the trailer to keep everything dry.

6. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

good point extlights, forgot about outlets and lights.. We have fans running in ours on hot days which, as I am sure most would agree, when it's sunny and 95 degrees the shade and moving air is nice. Also have a work bench in ours which has been invaluable.

7. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

The workbench is big plus I agree. We don't have any outlets in there right now. If I had the trailers closer to home, it might not be so bad. It is at a shop about 12 miles away making it a bit more of a hassle. So I find myself using the truck alone more and more.

8. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

I have a 16ft. inclosed trailer that have used for years. My favorite though is the Izuzu Box truck that I got. We built the shelves, work bench, and conduit racks. I got mine with the ramp that folds down so that we can drive the plow/boring machine up into the truck.

9. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Great info from everyone.Thanx.
    Sean c.

10. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

no prob esker