1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trucks or van

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by extremecutter, Feb 18, 2012.

1. extremecutter

extremecutter LawnSite Member

Question is trucks for service work for irrigation? We already have 5 trucks for plowing, 1 is for lawncare, 2 for doing forecloser and construction work. So we have the trucks for doing service work . But we could use a van to use for sidewalk shoveler next year. Doing alot more service work this year, so need a decaded vehicle for the service work. What works best for others?

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Van for snow don't forget to get it in four wheel drive.
    I hope I didn't't miss understand your post. :waving:

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We have two truck, and one van. I can't say there is one that is the "best". They each are best at certain things. I will try to post up pictures again, maybe in the morning.

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

We switched from YEARS of operating with vans, to SERVICE Bodies, they are the way to go!
    Pipe racks on top. 3500 Crew cabs, srw and diesels. We have an 08 and a 2010

Im not sure all those paper cardboard dividers would last very long with us, we're constantly getting things
    wet, and i could see those deteriorating after awhile. I would have gone with plastic. Which is what we use.
    nice picture with the beer on the truck bed, i hope you're not at a jobsite!

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

7. NC_Irrigator

from NC

Something very similar to this MAY be my next installation truck.

Throw the dingo track trencher and all the gear right on the back and NO MORE TRAILER!!

Service body trucks are nice, but with this truck you can have ALL your gear
    on one truck and with stop and go traffic and tight places to get into, this is your meal ticket!

http://www.wil-ro.com/content/landscpae_truc/irrigation_land.asp

The pipe racks on this one look like missle launchers, im not sure if im crazy about that angle like that,
    although i see what they're trying to achieve. Good for short people....

8. NC_Irrigator

from NC

This would look sweet loaded down heading to the jobsite!
    I'd throw a few weather tite locking bins on there for your handtools, electric drills, etc...

Drive the trencher right up the back, and bind her down!

[​IMG]

9. NC_Irrigator

from NC

single cab. id def. throw a few more locking weathertite bins on here for storage.
    [​IMG]