Trucks vs Vans

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Apr 22, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

What do all of you use for transporting your equipment and why? I am looking at a van tommorrow because they are relatively cheaper than trucks, enclosed, and a good way to keep the weather out. So what are your experiences with each?

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been thinking of a van as well, i'm sure it would work great, on small jobs you could toss the 21" and go, plus you have a running billboard.... :)

3. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

I have 5 one ton vans and love them.Be sure to get diesel.That will about double your mileage.GMC will have the duramax with the allyson tranny as soon as the army is done redoing all their equipment with them.For now I would go with the powerstroke.Much longer life also

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use vans. I do chemical and fertilizer applications. I pull trailers to haul my equipment. I like have my tools and other stuff out of the elements. My oldest van I bought with 90,000 miles. I paid 5000.00 for it. It now has 250,000. Talk to dealers or delivery companies about when they will be buying new and getting trade ins. I get white vans and put my own lettering on them.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

What about fumes/smells from chemicals?

I would think that might be an issue with using a van. That's why I'm not thinking of going that direction.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wear the pesticide mixing gas mask as you drive. Problem solved. :D

Seriously I would never be in an enclosed vehicle with any type of pesticides.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped and chatted with a tech from one of the local companies who uses vans exclusively.

He liked the setup in the van, but said the smell was constant. If you used a van setup, I think a ventilation system would be absolutely necessary.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

A full sized 3/4 van I think its a great idea If you don't bag clippings. You can hang trimmers and smaller tools that would just clutter your trailer (hand tools like loppers smaller shovels etc). But if its fumes your worried about just put your gas cans in a sealed weather proof truck tool box. I use one on my trailer and take it off during the winter months and store it in my garage and there are very minimal to no smell of gas at all. And yes for the past 2 seasons I forgot to empty out my fuel cans so there was fuel in the cans, but again no smells.

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Post some pics of vans if you folks can. Thanks

10. I use a van for my fert and weed control operation. Fumes are a problem when I can't open windows, but no problem when I can.

We'll try to post some pics up, but since we have SNOW today, it may be a few days.