trucks: what would YOU buy?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Eddie B, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Its a little early to be looking but I'm considering winter plowing in addition to the services I offer now. I've come across a decent truck, a '97 dodge 4x4 extended cab, V8 with snow plow. 93,000 miles and 2 seasons on the plow. Original engine and auto tranny. he's asking $8,000.

Up until September of last year I owned a '79 chevy pickup, and lost it due to a 4-wheeling accident. I absolutely loved this truck, and to this day, I still see these old trucks running pushing around the snow. My question is, should I look for an old chevy clunker or go with something like this dodge? I've heard of tranny problems with the dodges, that chevy had 186,000 on the original tranny and drove like a charm. I basically want to purchase something without having to dump a bunch of money into it.

What do you look for in a plow truck with about a $10,000 budget? The truck I have now is a 2x4, and I plan to keep it in addition to a 4x4 purchase.
  2. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

I would buy an older truck. Cheaper to maintain. Parts are dirt cheap for old chevys and fords. Start addin computers and fuel injection and thats where expensive problems come in. You could get an old 4x4 for 2 grand, spend another grand on paint and body, another grand on the running condition and you will be dollars ahaed in the end.
  3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Is this truck a 1/2 ton? I seriously would not get near one that has 2 yrs of plowing on it especially with 93k on the original trans.
  4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford F-250/F-350 from 1967-87, 4x4, 300/6 with T-18 manual. Toughest trucks ever made. If you can't find one (300 powered F-250/350 trucks are rare), then go with one with a 360, 390, 351W or 460. The 302 is too small for plowing. The 351M/400 is ok, but parts will be a pain to find. The 6.9L diesel is also a good choice as well.

Make sure if the truck is an auto that it has a C6 and not a C4 or AOD.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with an 87 chevy 2500 4x4 with 4.10s in the rear and 4.30s in the front axles. those things are built for pushin/pullin anything you can imagine, my best friend has one, ugly, but it has more power than anything I own.
  6. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

go to an equipment auction and get 2 full-size, chevy plowtrucks for your $10K.

there's always a bunch of school districts that are obligated to unload dang good $3500 used plow-trucks & equipment becase they have to qualify their capital expenditures and budget with the voters who allow them to purchase new equipment every 5 years.
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You can't mix ratios - recipe for disaster.
  8. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I agree, if you mix ratios(4.30:1 in front and 4.10:1 in rear) the rear will try to 'out run' the front meaning the transfer case will be subjected to a tremendous amount of strain and bind. Always run the same ratio gears front and rear.
  9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Well, this is just what my friends dad told me 3 years ago that this truck has in it, I'm pretty sure it has 4.30s in front and rear axles now that I think about it. I think this guy is a little nuts too, so it makes sense that he said it has 2 different ratios in the front/rear axles. Its his truck not mine, so I dont know everything about it. my truck is an 82 ranger with more wiring problems than an amish house with paper coated wires.
  10. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Actually I don't believe there is such a thing as 4:30's or at least I never heard of it but it could have 4:56 or 4:10's but they would be the same frt/rear or it would try to push/pull itself apart in 4wd. Anyway its a good solid truck.

I just found a 96 F-350 reg cab, long bed, 460 i think, 93K, for sale with a 8' plow, slide in salt/sand box in the bed and spreader and it is listed for $7500. Everything looks to be in excellent condition too. I could probably pick it up for $6000 if I wanted it. If the condition is as good as it looks does this sound like a bad deal? I could also use it for the lawn care side too.