Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by John P., Jul 2, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

i recently got a 97 F250 Heavy Duty and i wanted the trans to be serviced and i was wondering what i should have the garage look and and what should be done to it.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Automatic or manual?

Either way, avoid going to the chain lube stores.

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If it is an automatic, make sure that you find a place that changes ALL of the fluid. This is more than just taking off the pan and adding a few quarts. They need to hook up a machine in the line and change it that way. If you change only some of the fluid, you can sometimes do more damage than if you didn't do anything to it.

4. John P.

Yes its an automatic trans.......... what do you think of running a synthetic trans fluid in the trans............ i currently run ams oil synthetic oil in my truck and was wondering if it would make sense to run synthetic in the trans

5. John P.

Yes its an automatic.........What do you guys think of running a synthetic trans fluid in the truck. i use AMS- OIL in my truck and they make a trans fluid that i have heard good things about do you think its worth it

6. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Go to a dedicated trans service place.Stay away from the likes of pep boys and others of the same ilk.
    Their reputation makes it as far as here so they must be bad! :dizzy:

7. John P.

do you feel that a place like AAMCO is alright and what should i ask them to do when i bring in the truck

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

ask for a transmission flush and FILTER change. Make sure you emphasise the FILTER part! Too many shops, even dealerships, are doing "flushes" which is using a machine to suck out the old and pump in the new but does nothing for your old clogged filter! A total waste of money and time if you don't change the filter if you ask me. As for syn. over reg. tranny fluid that may be dictated by what your shop has available. If you know the mechanic at all you could get them to add in a additive like lucas or an other if you want.

9. John P.

What else can i do to make my tranny last longer what should i do to prolong the life ?

10. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

If you don't already have one a tranny cooler is great protection.