1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Slugger, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Slugger

Slugger LawnSite Member

Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge
    Which is best for this type of job? Hauling? Towing? Overall?
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

which ever you already own with no payments...
  3. Slugger

Slugger LawnSite Member

None actually, looking to buy a new one
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

They're all good and they all have problems. Ford and Chevy have more to offer in the commercial department.
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Toyota.. all the way :p
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

You can't go "wrong". Every brand has their lemons. Go drive some, see what options you want, see what engine you think is best.

There will always be the Chevy guys that say get a Chevy, the Ford guys will say get a Ford and the Dodge guys will say to get a Dodge.

I will make one recommendation, the Cummins diesel engine is the best diesel engine for pulling, being an I-6. They also have the highest resale value of any of the diesel engines.

How much equipment and trailer are you going to be pulling and will you plan on getting a bigger trailer in the future, maybe an enclosed trailer? A purchase like this warrants the need to think about the future. Diesel engines will cost more upfront, but will retain their value more, same with 4x4.
  7. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm working on a custom 1979 dodge warlock that i will be using for my business next season i hope.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is going to be my next purchase. Even though my family has worked for GM for over 35 yrs, I am moving on
  9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on what features you are looking for and what price is most appealing to you...I would recommend nothing less than a 3/4 ton though...and keep in mind what dealer is closest to you and would be most convenient to deal with in the future...Personally I would go with a GM - GMC Sierra 2500HD
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You know what, I have had all three Dodge, Ford and Chevy and I honestly can't say one was really any different then the others when it was all said and done. So, it really just boils down to what YOU like.