1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Do you guys buy your trucks on a custom order or a stock truck? I find that with the number of things that i like to have on a plow truck that i end up ordering most of the time. <p>For excample my standard truck is set up like this:<p>F 250 XL Or larger<br>4X4 7.3 Power Stroke from now on<br>Auto<br>AM FM Radio<br>Air<br>Cloth Seat<br>XL Upside package <br>Tow Package<br>Plow Prep Package<br>Highest Payload Package<p>Just try to find a stock truck like that? It's almost impossible, most dealers have totaly loaded, or toatly nothing, but nothing in the middle.<p>Geoff<p>

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Geoff,most trucks around here that are a base trim level have everything you listed on them,ex cloth seat,about 1/2 have that.There are plenty of these available around here,but most have the 5.4V8.I think every truck at 8600 or more should come with these as standard equipment on 4x4's:plow prep,tow pkg, receiver hitch able to handle 1000lbs of tonque weight load carrying,1500 weight dist,140 amp alt,dual Batterys or a 1050CCA single,a factory electric brake controller,wiring for beacon,a big trans cooler on autos,a defrost grid at base of windshield like on the Dodge Caravan to keep snow from building up.Real backup lights with a tap for aux units and amperage capicity to run both.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

One thing that is often overlooked when buying trucks is the cost of the diesel option over gas.<br>Some will look at the price difference and say woooooah the diesel is way to much. But when you break it down its not as bad as one would think. With the diesel you get dual batteries, heavy duty radiator, oil cooler, tranny cooler,high amp alternator,heavy duty axel ratings. And porobably more, all things that would be extra on a gas engine. So the diesel option isnt as costly as some people think.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff- our dealer keeps a bunch like that in stock, except for maybe the cloth seat. The 2000 we have has a breathable Vinyl (very nice and very cleanable). He even keeps them in my color (hey wait a minute, I can see a pattern developing.....) They are a Ford Truck dealer only (F250 HD and up), and if no truck is in stock, always check the pool of available trucks at the body companies. Ford alots some trucks to different aftermarket body installers in order to have trucks ready to go all the time. Some of those might fit your specs. If not, then order. I've taken all three routes.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

5. PINE ISLAND 2

PINE ISLAND 2 LawnSite Member

OK guys, I need some good advice.<p>I'm plowing for myself as a second income. I've plowed for others before, and went on my own this year. I put a western pro 7.5 on my 1990 Ford, beefed up. Very happy with the results. Not a single problem with the truck. I scheduled a route this year at about half of what I figured I could actually handle, just to test the waters with the lighter truck.<p>What I need your opinion on is this:<p>This is not a big money maker for me, but a good source of X-TRA money. I had about $2,000 worth of jobs this year.<p>I would like to think about another truck for next winter, and put a good friend in the ford as a driveway only truck.<p>Could I reasonably hope to lease a new tuck/plow unit, and do enough business with that truck to pay for its lease each year? I would be happy with breaking even, and consider the use of the truck as my &quot;payment&quot;.<p>My friend will drive for $10/hr, so I will be making profit on that truck as well.<p>I do intend to have a full route next year, (at least an 8 hr. one)<p>Does it make sense? <p>What truck would you look for in a lease?<p>What am I missing or not thinking of?<p>Thanks for any comments. <p> <br>

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Well yes in theory it may work. The lease will run about 400 per month, add the plow, at least 3600 and that will add 100 per month to the 400. So you are now at 500 per month x 12 months. SO if you can do at least $6000.00 per year plus expenses it should pay for its self. Now I dont how much snow you get, and what market you are in. I get 30-40&quot; per year and average $7000.00 per truck per season. I have contracts that pay weather it snows or not. If you are banking on the snow to pay for the truck, bad idea. If you can afford the truck any way then the plowing will offset the payment.<br>I have never leased, I keep my trucks to long and put to many miles on them to be cost effective, others here do lese and they may be better able to answer that side of the ?<br>BTW you will find that the friend may be alot harder on the truck than you think, so have enough time in your plowing schedual to cover his route.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. PINE ISLAND 2

Dino-<p>Do you figure $7000/year profit or is that gross $ made before expenses per truck.<p>I'd say in MI. where I'm at we average close to what you do. This winter it has been almost identical to you guys, judging by this forum.<p>Do some truck dealers lease with the plow on already? I think I remember Geoff or someone else mentioning that a few weeks ago.<p>Does a standard lease allow you to plow, or will I need a commercial lease?<p>Thanks,<p>Tom

8. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

tom<br>i have a leased ford 250sd runs about $440per on reg. lease not comm.i got the truck befor i lost my other job and decided on plowing and landscaping for my new job.comm leaseesare more becouse the lease co figures thay will get more abuse and not worth as much when they get them back.i can buy out the lease at the end of 36 mounths for like $19,000.00 .iwill wate and see what its worth then to see if i will.i dont think i would lease another!<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

9. PINE ISLAND 2

Are you able to put a plow on it according to the lease agreement, or did it come with a plow?

10. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

no it didnt come w/plow & i dont think it said any thing about plowing? but i cant locate the agreement right now sorry.i dont know what would happen if the lease co. found out that it is used for commercial work?i dont think i will call them right up and tell them!!<p>----------<br>Todd <br>