Trucks

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Skyview1, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Skyview1

Skyview1 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys-

We have been in business for 8 years now and are running 4 GMC 1-tons. I have the opportunity to buy a leftover 2007 GMC 4500 rack dump, meets all plowing needs, with a large tool box between the cab and body.

I am curous to see what other people out there are running and what they have paid for a truck such as this. Hauling materials and heavy equipment with the one tons demands a lot out of them, and bringing more than one vehicle to the job instead of just one.

This may not be the right forum, but you folks do what I do and I know you can relate. I appreciate all the input and look forward to the responses!

Thanks!

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Gas or diesel? New I assume? How long is the bed?

I've got an '04 diesel and we'll load as much as 5 ton in it. Great compact truck and built like a rock for sure!

As for plowing, a local contractor I know has several and runs 10' plows on them + V-box.

3. Skyview1

Skyview1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply...

The truck is brand new and diesel. It will have a 9 ft bed with solid rack sides, barn door and contractor gate on rear. 2' toolbox between body and cab. Trailer brakes, ball and pintle, tarp, 9.6' stainless v plow.

Im trading in my 04 3500 that has 33500 miles on it. They are giving me $19000.00 With this trade, they are selling me the truck for $49,000.00

I have never purchased a larger truck like this, nor traded one of my work trucks in. My dealer knew I have been looking for a 4500 and put this on me quick.

What do you all think?

4. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been kicking myself in the butt for not ordering at least 2 Kodiak 5500 crew cab 4x4's before GM pulled the plug. Awesome trucks, great value for the dollars spent.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

I think they're $9k high on the asking price alone. Are you looking to pay for the truck in full with trade or finance? At this point the dealer has been forced to purchase the truck from GM and wants to get rid of it to recoup any profits.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Go foreign. Hino. Mitsubishi.

7. Skyview1

Skyview1 LawnSite Member

tthomas-

That price of $49000.00 is for the entire truck with body plow, and options. Do you still think it should be 9k lower?

I will finance this truck.

Thanks again for the help!

8. P.L.

P.L. LawnSite Member
    from USA

For an 07 definitely high on the price.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

I priced an '07 1.5-2 years ago. No box behind cab, flatbed dump and 2wd........is yours 4wd??

$38,000 was asking price and same truck, newer model was $42,000.

I bought a used '04 diesel with 78k miles on it 1.5yrs ago. Truck had a welders body on it that nobody seemed to be able to look past and it was traded in to a Ford dealership. I got the truck for an even $15k and spent another $10k to have an aluminum tool box put behind the cab and an 11' steel dump body built on the back. So, $25k I had a nice dump truck and a hell of a deal.

Look used, unless you just want to spend the money. I'd check out leasing/renting too (tax deductible). There's pride in owning stuff but I own probably all I'll be buying as I'm very well equipped. The other things that come along in the future will probably be leased/rented to minimize risk in both overhead and unforeseen repairs. Just run the #'s, in the end its the net that matters.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

And if you need a bigger truck/capacity. Look at International/Freightliner. 26k GVW, doesn't require CDL, built much heavier/stronger and will carry 6 ton easy. Plus, you can get about any size dump body you want.

Used, you can pick these trucks up for $15k easy and will out last smaller trucks.