1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Mar 17, 2000.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Was wondering what all you blokes are using<br>to transport your gear around? I am curious<br>why use large trailers on the back of a ute<br>(pick-up) when you can put all your gear on<br>the back of a larger truck (2 tonner) and<br>have more manauverability and economy.<br>I run a '73 International Acco (Australian<br>Constructed Cabover) 2050A 6 tonner with a<br>V555 Cummins 8.3 litre v8 diesel @210 hp<br>with a 10 speed direct Eaton Roadranger<br>for the tractor and I have just bought a 1990<br>Mitsubishi Canter 3.9 litre 4cyl diesel<br>2 tonner for the mowing gear.<br>Just curious to see what you all run<p>Karl

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 95 Dodge 2500 4wd pickup (8800 gvw) with a 5x12 trailer with 24 inch sides. If I didnt have to plow snow I would use a 1/2 ton pickup 6 cyl 8 foot bed and trailer.<p>Bill

3. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i use a 96 F350 ....i would use smaller to if i didnt plow but for plowing i like a truck that dont sack out.maybe even if i didnt plow i still would probaly have i one ton,i guess i just like the bigger truck look.but the gas prices are getting tough.

4. thelawnguy wrote:<p>&gt;I use a 95 Dodge 2500 4wd pickup (8800 gvw) with a 5x12 trailer with 24 inch sides. <p>Why don't you buy a handy ramp end gate and<br>leave the trailer home? Are you bagging grass<br>and need the bed for waste? Your 48&quot; mower<br>should fit thru the wheel wells.

5. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '78 Ford F-250. Mildly built 460, C-6, Np205 t-case, Dana 60 axles(1 ton), hi-boy springs with helper springs from 73-77 F250. Axles and springs make the truck a 1-ton. GVW is 14,000. 35x12.50x16.5 BFG's. Truck is also a Supercab which is nice to store extra stuff in.<br> I just can't imagine shelling out 30,000+ on a new truck, when there are so many good older units on the market for a fraction of the price. Who cares if you beat on the older truck a bit, but if I owned a newer truck I sure would be hesitant about getting the paint scratched. Sure they are more reliable, but that's not an issue for me. When I bought my truck it had the anemic 351m which I promptly yanked and sold, and then installed a freshly warmed 460. If I have troubles with my truck I fix it myself and save the outrageous labor prices. Somewhere down the line I want to swap in a Powerstroke, than I'll have modern diesel power for a lot less than buying new. But that another post in itself.

6. crabber

crabber LawnSite Member

'89 k1500 CHEVY towing 14'x 6' tandem.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

lawrence,<p>I used to ramp my 38 inch JD but now I have a 52 inch turf tracer, its a bear getting it up and over the wheel well all the time, and the gate on the truck is 34 inches from the ground plus with the trailer I can have room for mower, trim mower, hand blower, wheeled blower for the heavy clippings trimmer on a rack, and maybe trim a hedge or edge a walk and be able to dump the stuff in the bed. Also, the trailers small enough so it will fit in my garage, plus the hitch ball is mounted on an extended receiver so I can jacknife the trailer at the landfill and unload the truck without unhitching everything.<p>I like your setup but its just not practical with my customers and my equipment needs.<p>Bill

8. MTS Services

MTS Services LawnSite Member
    from utah

I have a 99 f-350 with the v10 and a 7x20 trailer. The reason for the large trailer is because I also do demolition derby's so it doubles as a car hauler. The other reason is that I hate to have all my equiptment just crammed on my trailer.<br>Matt

9. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I RUN A 99' CHEVY 1/2 TON EXT.CAB WITH A 7X16 OPEN. I WISH I WOULD'VE KEPT MY OLD K-5 BLAZER I'VE ALREADY RUINED THE NEW ONE,INSIDE & OUT. NOT ENOUGH SUSPENSION FOR MY EQUIPMENT. DOES ANYBODY USE THE CAB-OVER DUMPS WITH THE ROLL-OFF BEDS FOR THIER EQUIP.?<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

10. bw

bw LawnSite Member

this is embarressing, but i use a 92 2.3 4cyl ford ranger, (don't laught it's payed for), i'm just starting out, i'm getting a trailer (5 x 10) then a truck with more power, Probably 6 cylinder, then some better equipment, not necessarily in that order.