Trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Mar 17, 2000.

1. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I just bought a 1994 Chevy C1500 in mint condition. (hopefully I can keep it that way)<br>I used to also drive a four cylinder Ranger last year. It wasn't fun but it paid off. I also use a 5x8 trailer and I definately need a larger one. That will likely be my next purchase.

2. bw

bw LawnSite Member

what kind of equip. do you have? mowers and such

3. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

I use a 96 dodge 1500 ext cab 4x4 6ft bed with a 7.5 boss plow . A 97 GMC 1 ton dump 4x4 with 9ft western plow. The gmc is the last gm i will buy, it's in the shop more than on the road with only 30 k on it. Trailer is 7x14 enclosed.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

What type of problems are you having with the gmc. I have 36K on my 98 and very few problems<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, <br>I had a 97 chevy 1500 extended cab 4X4, and had a funny steering problem with it on the front end. I heard it was a problem in a lot of the 1500. Sound familiar to anyone? When driving, all of a sudden it would just want to turn off the road, even though the wheel was held straight. Felt real funny, and scared the daylights out of me (and a date or two).I got rid of the truck for a 2wd sonoma (ya, that really sucked), but I drive to far and couldn't afford the mileage for my full time job (or the payments for that matter) <p>Just figured I'd metion this since the quesiton was asked.

6. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

You must have got one that was built on Monday. I had a 1994 GMC w/165,000 on it when I sold it just about 16 months ago and I know the people that drive it for farm use everyday a they still have NO problems w/ it I did have to change the exhaust manifolds. Now I have a 99 Chevy Z-71 1/2ton and a 85 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4 both pull either the 7x20' bumper or 24' lowboy gooseneck trailers all the time.<br><p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>

7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I started out with an 85 Toyota 2wd pickup & threw everything in the back, then got a 4x10 I rebuilt & used for 2 more years. <br>Then a bigger mower came into the picture, & needed a bigger trailer. Then a bigger truck to pull all that. So I got a 16 tandem axle tr. W/ dual mesh gates, EZ lube hubs, etc. Heavy, but nice. Had that for 2 yrs., now I have my 20' tandem axle with a back mesh gate & a side gate too for the WB. I'm still pulling it with my 87 1/2 ton silverado 4x4, which got a performance engine rebuild this winter. Paid too much for labor; next time I'll know better. <br>You can see the pics of the truck & my smoky burnouts on the snowplow forum under a post Chuck started-&quot;guys & our equipment&quot;. Hopefully I'll get it repainted this yr. & get a Dodge Ram by 2001 or 2002. <p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

GM has alot of pitman arm problems, I had mine changed at 32000K and the front end is like new now. I will only buy GM motors from now on. The goodwrench engines are cheap and the warranty is awesome.Wait till you drive a new duramax GM this fall. I hear they are awesome.<br>

9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey plowking,<p>That sounds right. My friend had the same truck/year i did and had the same problem, but got it fixed. Now that you said it, thats what I remember hearing him say it was.<br>Is this common on all the classes, or just the half tons?<p>

10. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

The problems i have had with my GMC is, the front dif leaks once year, 2 alts 1 intake gasket,2 fual pumps, pait cracking, every once in a while it pulls to the left all of a sudden and to many small things to mention. My 87 GMC was good truck. I had that truck for 187,ooo. my 78 dodge was a good truck too 250,000. miles.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>