Trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Mar 17, 2000.

1. bobbylawn

bobbylawn LawnSite Member

1997 GMC 1500 ext. cab 5.7 liter 350 engine the best truck i've ever used.

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

98 F-150 v-6. If you are thinking about buying a truck, purchased at least 3/4 ton v-8.

3. You can do a lot with a light duty pickup<br>with a six if you change the rear axle<br>to 4.10, 4.54, or even a stump pulling<br>5.13 ratio with a limited slip diff.

4. Alan

Alan Member

For what it's worth, the newer GM pickups with &quot;speed sensitive&quot; steering are having problems with the sensors going bad. Makes for some interesting twitches in the steering. I understand that National Highway Transportation Safety Board is looking into it as a possible mandated recall. Cure for now is to change a sensor that is located on the steering column. Our 97 K-2500 is starting to act up so it's due for a trip to the shop. We have the sensor but it looks like too much of a pain to replace it ourselves.

5. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

We use a 97 Ford F250HD 4x4 crew cab with auto transmission and the 460 V8. Also use a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with auto transmission and the V10. This truck is used mainly for towing the trailors and snow removal. I have had very good luck with both. <p>

6. Alan

Alan Member

Well,, I know it's not for everyone, but my main truck is a '91 S-10. Spends the summer towing a 14 ft trailer with a hydro walk and a Lazer Z on board. 4.3 FI, so power is adequate and with trailer brakes I can stop it. Maneuverable as all hell and easier on gas than the K-2500. In the winter it shoves an 8' Sno-Way plow with ease. Probably not the rig for everyone, nor would I have it if I could only have one truck. But I've got either the K-2500 or my 5500 GMC (19,500 GVW)if I need to tow or haul heavy, so the S-10 works just fine the way I'm using it.

7. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice on the ramp guys. I think I am going to get something here in town like a spring loaded landscape gate. I am going to talk with the people tomorrow. I don't have time to get something online. Hey there Brook Haynes. I hope I do good enough work and we both can compete friendly. What kind of equipment do you have and where are you working in Lexington. Do you have many properties now? I have a few and two landscape jobs. I am starting this week.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

8. QLC

QLC LawnSite Member

Mattingly,<br>I do most of my work in Versailles right now. I work in a factory full time and this is my side job. In a couple of years I hope to go full time lawn care though. I have an Exmark 48&quot; Viking and a Kees 61&quot; ZMax and all the other odds and ends. Just bought a spray unit this year from Ryan's Agri. I have about 15 mowing and spraying accounts. I am running an add in the Herald Leader for 20 days to see what it does. I also have an add in the Versailles paper and phone book. Hope all goes well for ya. Maybe we can meet sometime.<p>Brook

9. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

QLC,<br> That'd be fine with me. I have to update my post in the who, what, where section but that should give you some sort of idea of what I do. Don't think we will be competing for some time though. We work different areas.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

10. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Last year '87 Jeep Wrangler and 5 X 10. This year '90 F150 supercab and a 16ft tandem. I sure miss the tight turning radius of the Jeep.