1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Mar 17, 2000.

1. coldbrook landscapin

coldbrook landscapin LawnSite Member

i have two trucks.... 1989 chevy 3/4 ton four wheel drive 350 engine and a 8 foot plow the other is a 1995 gmc one ton with a dump body it has the 6.5 turbo diesel with auto. and plow with a 9 ft fisher. in the summer i pull a 8x16 landscaping trailer. planning on next summer to fine a used superlawn truck. i hate backing up with the trailer and the enclosed box would be a portable garage.
  2. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

We use 2 Chevy 3/4 ton trucks with 1 16'<br>and 1 14' tandem axle cage trailers for lawns. I drive a Ford F-350 crew cab with a 18' lowboy gooseneck trailer to do landscape jobs. There's also a 1983 Chevy 1 ton that pulls a 16' gooseneck dump trailer for material deliverys and haul off. Our special services tech drives a Ford ranger extended cab, it gets good mileage and is dependable for light work.
  3. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

We use a '96 Dodge 3500 Ram with a 5.9 Cummins pulling a 16 foot tandem. It also had a ez dumper insert in the bed. It is great for towing, average 12 miles/gallon. We also have to tow around a Bobcat 873 (7200 pounds) sometimes, with no problems at all.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>
  4. kenneybros

kenneybros LawnSite Member

I got an 86 ford ranger 4x4 with a 2.3, and unlike the other 2 guys with the little ranger... i like it, ive never been stuck, and it still spins the 31x10.5 wrapped around steel wheels. I wouldnt hesitate to throw a 5.0 between the rails... I think my frame will handle a couple of nasty rompings in 4low
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I use a 99 Ford F250 crew cab Super Duty w/ 7.3 ltr Powerstroke diesel. I have a 7x16 Haulamrk tandem axel enclosed trailer.<p>----------<br>Ray Kirby - Kirby's Cuttin' Edge Lawn Maintenance<br>Home Page, My Truck, Lawn Photos
  6. TurfMan

TurfMan LawnSite Member

Look into a small cabover truck like a an Izusu NPR. I have a Chevy W-4 (it's the same). What I like about them is that they have a very small turning radius, a lot larger payload, and the bed is a lot larger than a 1 ton dually. Mine has a 18 foot custom made bed and is low to the ground. I went with a gas engine (350 vortec) but a diesel is available. The main reason I got this truck is because it was less expensive even with custom bed than any pickup. I like the truck a lot. I put a 60 inch toolbox under the bed and it is lockable. The top of the rear deck is only 42 inches high. I designed a side like a tailgate that can be unlatchedocked from anywhere on the side of the truck. This is really handy. It will easily handle 3 tons of fertilizer, a dual axle 10,000 lbs trailer and John deere 4400 Tractor. All of this and it drives like it is empty. If you need to push snow, think about a Mitsubishi Fuso, they make a 4wd cabover. Hope this contributes.
  7. 2000 ford f-550 diesel, with a 19' wil-ro landscape bed.
  8. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

how much was that isuzu?
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

1999 chevy 2500 reg cab, bare bones<br>tow a 31ft long proline deck over equipment trailer. tows great loaded.<br>38,000 miles since august of 1999 (most with trailer)<br>it works for me !!
  10. TurfMan

TurfMan LawnSite Member

the truck with no bed was 21k, it had a/c and a radio as the only accessories. The bed was another 6K but as I said, I designed it and the welder was good. You could probably get a stock flatbed or cube for less. <p>Did I mention that the truck has a 132 in wheelbase, a 18 ft bed and turns tighter than any of the fullsize or the S-10's I own. When I pull a trailer it really helps because you can manuver very easily. I know one guy with a 5th wheel that swears by this combination.