Trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springman26, Dec 4, 2003.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Ok guys lets say you can only have one truck for work. You do mostly mowing solo, sometimes with a helper. You do a few yard clean ups and some light lanscaping. You only do this part time now but plan on expanding soon. What would be the best truck for you? I mean long bed, short, 1/2 ton , 3/4 ton, gas, diesel, a small dump. I'm leaning towards a small dump but don't know if I wanna ride all day while cutting lawns in a dump, hard to backup, gas etc. Whatcha think?

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

well just from my experience i started with 1/2 ton longbed gas,then when my business began to grow i moved up to 3/4 ton
    gas and will soon be moving up to 1 ton,really depends on your
    financial means,the work your planning on recieving...

let me get some coffee i'll think of more..

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 97 F-250 with a 460 Engine in it. Its an extended cab, 2 gas tanks on it, 8ft Bed, 4X4. I also work solo and love having this truck, its big enough to pull a 16 FT trailer with no problem and it can handle a 8 ft snowplow. It does have a gas engine it, the only downside is gas mileage, i get about 10 miles a gallon

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW i started out with a 97 Dodge 1500, it was a great all around truck, i got 160,000 miles out of it, the only problem i had was 120,000 i needed a new transmision, point is i think even 1/2 ton trucks are to small, 3/4 is the smallest i'll go now.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Springman,

Here is a post that discussed different trucks which may be helpful.

Comparing Trucks

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're a solo operation, and what you're doing is what you described, a 1/2 ton full size pickup will do just fine. I wouldn't even THINK of a dump truck at your stage. You have absolutely no use for one. All they are is a whole lot of expense. Insurance, Plates, - everything is much more expensive on them.

7. LocalTouch

LocalTouch LawnSite Member

In my opinion I would get a 3/4 ton. 1/2 tons do not have good weight carrying capacities. Even if you dont think you will ever put a ton of topsoil, rocks, bricks, etc, in the bed, you will be suprised. Sometimes jobs just come up, ones you werent even expecting. My partner has a 1/2 ton, I have a 3/4 ton, and if we are doing any type of hauling, or pulling the trailer, we use my truck. His sags down, and I also think you may look a bit more professional with a larger truck. Even if the 3/4 is a bit of an overkill for you now, its better knowing you have it then originally getting the 1/2 ton, and wishing you had the 3/4 for the lawn you are going to install, and are carring a yard and a half of topsoil.

8. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a solo, use this truck for personal use and work. Love it my next one will be crew cab.

storm- trees-equip 007.jpg

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Nice set up Duke!
    Have a GREAT CHRISTMAS!!!!
    John

10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

This is too funny. I have had many trucks in this business but have to tell you right now I have a 96' Chevy Z71 4x4 I bought new in 96'. It has 228,385 miles and still strong. Just purchased a 2001 3/4 Chevy with 26,000 .