Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by UNISCAPER, Dec 7, 2003.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

All this talk about trucks...Everyone has one or two features that are better than the next..In my opinion, if a person could have a Ford Super Duty chassis and brakes, with a Cummins 5.9, and an Allison AT545 tranny, their would be no stopping it.

Ford makes the best chassis and brakes...Dodge and Chevy brakes, at best, suck. Dodge trannies as well as the E4OD Ford uses belong in the trash can. The GM RED80 tranny is better than Ford or Dodge... So, make me what I said earlier...In the mean time, we have a new Peterbuilt with a 425HP Cat diesel and a 13 speed fFuller going to order, complete with Jake brake...

I hate to see when anyone spends 30K on a truck, to find the problems they are all having...No excuse for that from any manufacturer...
  2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

What you just said is the problem I'm having. We're looking at another truck and they all seem to have some kind of problem. Changing brake pads is cheaper and easier than replacing trannies. I have an older truck that doesn't have the problems you mentioned. I feel lucky about that . What is the solution? Good point. Matt

AS I have been told, the new GM line has a redesigned braking sytem with a gaurantee for 100,000 miles. The GM between 88 and 99, absoultley were horendous. And I don't trust that Dura Max engine just yet...GM picked a good tranny with the Allison name, however, the one they designed for the pick ups has many turbo 400 parts inside...The T-400 was a great tranny, but they cannot make this click with the illustrious computer junk that they load vehicles down with...

I'm going heavy with Peterbuilt, was going to get a Mack, but, they are not as popular on the west coast.

Far as medium duty goes, I still think I would go Ford with the diesel, until the GM 4500-5500 series proves it's way a little more...
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had 2 super duty F350's since 99 and I have not had any problems with either of them. I guess some guys are harder on there trucks then I am :rolleyes:

The E4OD transmissions are the weak link. They belong in a bronco, not a serious work truck like a 250-350, or Super Duty. Other than that transmission, which can barely hit 100K without grenading, the Super duty is by far the best truck in it's class....
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Diesels and auto trannys never did get along. The exception being the Allison. But they had a couple problems here and there. Personally after being into more than a couple 13 sp Fullers, I wouldnt own one except for highway use. Whats the point really. If ya want it to pull go with a 9 sp with double low. What pisses me off with Pete and KW both, is the only think on em thats Pete or KW is just the name. Someone elses engine, someone elses tranny, rears ect. Might as well own a Frieght Shaker at half the cost.
  7. HarryD

what have you guys been smoking if you beat any tranny they are not going to last. You need to cover yourself with a larger tranny pan and a temp gage so you dont fry your tranny fluid. by pulling huge loads or plowing really wet snow any tranny can and will fail no matter what brand it is.

Yes Harry you are right, however, that E4OD from Ford has been a continuing progession of crap since it was first made...They went from aluminum planetary drives to steel, then further from a bushing on the center shaft to a bearing, and the latest fiasco, the torque converters would not lock up after they put the turbos on the power stroke diesels... The whole ting for the last 14 years could have been avoided if they had stuck with the old vacuum shift C-6 3 speed rather than lowering themselves by using a computer shifted electronic piece of junk.

GM has had the best 4 speed OD trannies with the LD80 in the 8600 lb GVW trucks, and Dodge auto trannies are complete trash...Dodge should have kept with the 727 Torqueflight as if they would hold up behind a 426 Hemi with it's 800 ft lbs of torque, they surely would hold up with a smaller engine...

In al ill faded effort to save fuel, which, is a falocy, the big 3 have created trannies that cost more, cost 4 times more to rebuild, and do not last as long as the good old models they all ran. Pretty insulting when you have to drop 35K plus on a 3/4 ton truck...

And stick shift, if I new that it was going to be me, or a good driver behind the wheel, that would help..But, go throug 4-5 clutches a plow season one time, and them tell me stick is the way to go..The problem is not even so much that drivers beat them...It is that everyone drives differently...

So, add the yuppie factor in truck sales ( those who want trucks but not truck qualities) and the electronic garbage, and the price, and all trucks look like prety slim pickens....They all have at least one weak link...No excuse for that with what we pay for them....
  9. HarryD

when we got on this topic about the trannys I did a little surfing and found this

so I did a bit of surfing on ebay found this

Just got it in the mail today and this guy paid $375.00 for it new a few years ago. Thought I got a great deal.
    I think it will help keep that baby cool this next summer after I put my mods on my 7.3
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My experience has been nothing but positive with the new HD GM products. I agree the brakes on the last generation sucked bad. I have an 01 GMC K-3500 Duramax/Allison. I cross the scales when fully loaded at 32-33K GVW. I have replaced two connecting rods (drivers side both times) in 50K miles. Brakes have yet to be touched. I recently bought an 03' GMC K-2500 D/A. Very dependable and very powerful.