1. UNCLE BOB

UNCLE BOB LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use older or modified trucks ? all I've read about are new trucks.

2. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

'90 Dodge 1/2 ton. I think it's just that most guys like to talk about new trucks rather than old(er) ones. I was talking to the wife tonight about whether to buy a new one or put a motor or transmission in this one when it needs one. Going to be hard to justify $25,000 to push snow.

Mick

3. UNCLE BOB

No doubt, M.J. I paid $1500,00 for my truck w/ plow whole truck 90%restored $800.00 tires 3 weeks old not to mention other 85% of truck all new parts.I just love plowing snow.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is an 80 GMC K/25. I paid $1500 with the original plow in 1994. I put a new 350 motor in it in 1996, and a 350 trans. It has the original NP 205 t case in it. Haven't bought tires yet, still 1/2 tread on the Coopers. Put a used clean bed off an 87 on it in 1997 (paid $250). I have a set of clean doors for it in my shed (got them free). I would guess other than gas and maint items, I put about $4,000 into it. The first winter I had it, 94 - 95 I made twice what I invested. To date, I have made at least 20 times my investment from it. How many guys that are a 1 truck operation can say they made 20 times their investment in 5 years with their $35,000 truck? (is that crickets I hear?) :)

~Chuck

5. UNCLE BOB

Chuck I heard those cricket's all the way down here in Md.I usually make more than I paid for the whole rig every snow and that's with a meyer's

[Edited by UNCLE BOB on 01-23-2001 at 09:19 PM]

6. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

We run some new,mostly dodge/cummins and some old.I still think the older ones are better,much easier to fix in a hurry.We usually start with an older Chev or GMC.Rebuild the motor,trans and case,all new u-joints,and a complete rewire.We just wire up what is neccesary.Add dual batteries and a 200 amp ambulance alternator with serpentine belt and you have a bulletproof truck.Helps when you own a repair garage as well.Body parts are cheap too.The newer trucks (Dodge Crew cab 2500's/diesel) are better for pushing big snow,but the smaller older trucks do most of the average work.BTW a well built 350 with a good driver can actually get good gas mileage too.

7. UNCLE BOB

I have 350 BORED 30 OVER TRW 10:1 PISTONS CRANE FIREBALL CAM 194 VETTE. HEADS EDELBROCK CARB-CLEANER COMBO. DUAL TANKS $35.00 WORTH OF GAS AND A $3.00 BOT. OF OCTANE BOOST FOR MILAGE,AND I go 30+hours plowing no problem!!!! you could'nt give me a new truck. sorry.

8. tux

tux LawnSite Member

UNCLE BOB;
    as far as older trucks go i have had good experience with them. my truck is a 77 gmc and it has plowed for 24 years. i got this one 8 years ago and paid 2800.00 with a 4 way myers on it.i figured the blade was around 1500.00 and the truck 1300.00. i told my wife if i drive this for 2 months with no problem i got it for free. that was 8 years ago. i figured the payments on a new one would be around 650.00 a month.the trick is you have to be able to do the work on it yourself and enjoy it,the repair rate at a shop will kill you. also i only do a few local driveways i am not a commercial plower.don't get me wrong the new ones are great and very reliable but for my use this does me fine and i am not worried about turning the key tonight and heading out anywhere.now if i didn't have to get that newer one for my wife every 2 years i would have money in the bank.

9. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Bob, About a month ago I went to the local used car dealer where I got the Dodge PU (and the Chev 1/2T before that). Told him to keep an eye out for an 80's 1 Ton dump. Just not impressive as talking about getting a decked out C10 or 3500. I agree, though, it's easier to make my money back. I plan on put a V box on the one ton. Need to decide whether to get a new 8' or look wimpy and keep my 7.5.

Mick

10. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

Uncle Bob,
    I' ve got a 92 F-150. Upgraded springs, charging system, exhaust, shocks, ignition, k&n air filter.....
    Its not the oldest here, but its not the newest either.
    This truck's been great to me and even with what I've put into it I still couldn't buy new, so I'm really happy with it.
    So far it hasn't met a snowfall it couldn't handle, and it hasn't met a stuck car or truck it couldn't pull(within reason).
    For what I do I can't justify 6 or 7 hundred a month.