True Demos'

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Jul 24, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Im looking into the purchase of a Z-Turn (will be my first). I think it will be a great compliment to the 36" & 48" WB We're using, not to mention that Im hoping it will save some time.

I was wondering if the local distributors offer demos' in the sense, where I can "borror" the mower for a day or two and try it out (on the job). See what works for me and what doesnt. I imagine that would be up the actual dealership themselves as to wether they do or not. Whats been your experience? Any particular manufacturers' reps DO or DONT offer demos?

Thanks for the help.

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

When I was shopping for a new WB, the Exmark rep drove to VA from PA, I think, with two mowers for me to test. We met at the dealership and the rep, dealer and myself drove out to a local park and I was able to run both mowers on a football field, hills and an area that had heavy tree cover and tight turns. They let me run both machines until I was satisfied with the demo and went over the differences between the mowers. I'm not sure if a dealer will let you take a mower home. Maybe they will with a deposit but that's still a big liability for them.

3. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

Some dealers will let you. And some will not. Our Gravely dealer let me bring the 260Z home for 5 days. I got it Saturday. And took it back on Monday. And he asked why I did not keep it the other 2 days.
    I wrote him a check for the mower and got it back after bringing the mower back.
    The John Deere dealer let me bring a 757 home on Friday and bring it back on Monday. All that I did was sign a paper stating I had the mower for a demo.
    Ferris dealer hauled the mower out and let me run it until I was done. Then took it back.
    Kubota dealer brought out 2 ZD-s and showed me how they cut. Did not let me use one. Until I asked about it. Then I make one round and that was it. Also he found out fast that I had hills..LOL
    Pete