1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

True Floating Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pristine PM, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

We are looking to purchase two 48inch walkbehinds and are being told by some dealers that their mower is a floating deck, and then being told by others that it really isn't. Are there any walkbehinds that have true floating decks? I have been told that the Ferris, Gravely, and Wright are not, but the Toro is. Is this true and what other companies should I look into?

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Jon, if you can raise the deck with 4 pins than I would say it is a floating deck, if you have to adjust the height by adding or removing shims from the 2 front tires it is fixed, I had a 48" WB Bobcat which was floating, sold the piece of Junk, now have a 36" floating deck Exmark, I think something as small as a 36" deck has not much advantage for being a floating deck, I got it from the dealer as a demo unit. Hope this helps.
  3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 4 pin Scag swzu ultimate walk i dontknow whether i consider it floating or not maybe half float lol I think the Ztr are for the most part true floaters
  4. Holders Residential

Holders Residential LawnSite Member

I wonder if you could put aspring system on a swzu if it would make it float better. Something like the walker mower.
  5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to say i think the walker walk behinds are pretty much as full floating as your going to get
  6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I think full-floating means anti-scalp wheels at the front AND back of the deck, although I'm not positive. Makes sense to me though.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Floating Is a "term" used by the manufactures. What it refures to is, when the deck moves up and down free of the mowers frame thats"Floating".Then you have "fixed deck" is part of the mowers frame and most of the time its hard to adjust the deck where as the Floating deck is easier to adjust "deck level.
  8. John Gamba

from ct

Ray look at ferris's new opc's on the duel drive.
  9. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

the only true floating deck i've seen was on a simplicty mower. the deck rode on the ground attached to but independent of the mower frame. It had a roller all the way across the back of the deck that rode right on the ground, the deck was attached to and supported by it and two front casters. it was a pretty sweet rig, the deck would just hug the contour of ground no matter what gyrations the mower was going through - real nice cut - but the roller wouldn't work on a Z at all and would creat problems on a wb - nice cut though - too bad - most "Floating" decks will float up if their antiscalp wheels hit and force the issue but they don't float - not like that simplicty deck - i think float just means "adjustable"
  10. John Gamba

from ct

Up and down motion