1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

True Green Mowing Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigkat, Feb 21, 2003.

1. bigkat

bigkat LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever dealt with True Green Lawn Service? I am bidding a very large job against them for mowing and fertilizing 600 patio homes in one complex.I want to know if they are a bunch of low ballers.
  2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Truegreen does some mowing out my way. From what I have seen, they are actually quite expensive. They bid one of my customers 10k lawn at $45. Thats way expensive for around here.

I have read a lot of others say they are really low in price. I guess it just depends on your area.
  3. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

LawnDog where at is Pittsburgh are you? I mow in Aspinwall, Sharpsburgh and Fox Chapel.
  4. Lawn Dog2001

We service Leechburg, Allegheny TWP, Newkensington, Lower Burrell. I used to have some accounts in the Chapel Downs area of Fox Chapel.
  5. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Do you mind telling me your name? Are you Sevic Landscaping?
    I also mow in Lower Burrell, New Kensington, Vandergrift, . Maybe we can meet sometime.:)
  6. Lawn Dog2001

No not Sevic. He is really my major competition in this area though. He has a large supply yard opening out this way next year.

EverGreen Complete Landscaping and Lawn Care. Yeah, PM me and we can set something up. Are you going to the Turf show at the Expo Mart this month. Maybe we could meet up there.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

True Green just outbid a large account that a friend of mine has had for a few years. The area is aproximently 40 acres. They bid $375 a cut. Thats less than $10 an acre. My friend said that it takes 24 man hours to cut this property.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Truegreen is a low baller around here. On city and county contracts, they are so far under everyone else, that there is no way they can be making money. I have not bid against them on any big commercial jobs, but heard they undercut everyone there too. Let them have that cheap work. They won't be around here long. I noticed that their trucks and mowers are already starting to look like junk. My guess is that they will not last more than two more years in this area.:D
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

They use the lowball treatments around here as well. I think they use it as a new way in for their high priced add ons. I do not think they mow to make money, just as a new foot in a new door.

And I agree, everytime I see their trucks with a trailer and equipment it all looks pretty sad.
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

$878 million for TruGreen ChemLawn
    $830 million for TruGreen LandCare
    This is in gross sales. You dang-skippy they'll be cheaper than you. That's a lot of buying power and they can bid lower. When you generate that much revenue, you can lower your profit margins and still get rich.

Sell your service, not the almighty dollar. You will not win that war.