True Green or Self Application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ericlemson, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I have for the past 2 years used a True Green Chem lawn "type" company (not actually them). I have seen little or no improvement in my Bermuda lawn. Over the last two months I developed Dollar Spot in part of my yard. They came and treated it today with fungicide and fertilizer. My question is this...is it a waste of money (37.80/per application, 6 times a year [5500 SF])? Should I be doing the applications my self? Would my grass potentially be better? I have been referred to Lesco in my area as a great place to buy fertilizer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

The problem i've experienced with homeowners deciding to do their own lawn to save money, is that you miss applications or do them late. Or decide to skip it this time. Then it's catch up time and twice as hard. Then the phone call back to the lawn company and wondering why:confused: it's so much money to get the lawn back to at least par.

If your not happy with your current lawn company, i'm sure you will find someone on this site that would be happy to help you. But think long and hard before you decide to do your own lawn, it takes dedication and determination. It's a whole other job besides your full time.

Not sure if anyone else agrees but we will soon see.

3. ericlemson

I guess my problem is, you would think that having them come every 6-8 weeks, you wouldn't have dollar spot appear.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

well it all depends what your program u signed up 4 has in it
    did u sign up for preventive fungicide apps????

5. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

You certainly of course can do it yourself however I would discourage it. the other post is right about the time, effort, and expense of a d.i.y. lawn program and yes too that it will cost you more money in the long run (most likely) to eventually get your lawn back up par.

in regards to the condition of your turf... one thing i explain to my customers is that a program is a team effort. if one is to simply mow once a week and thats all then a good program will do no more than act as a preventative measure to keep the lawn from getting a lot worse. good mowing practices and proper watering techniques go a long way in turf maintenance. call your turf care provider between scheduled visits if needed to clear up weeds, diseases, etc etc etc as soon as they are a problem.

the dollar spot... unless you paid for fungicides in your treatments then its not unreasonable for this type of problem to appear. i myself will treat something like this in a customers lawn during a routine visit anyway but im not going to apply chemicals unless there is a need. one thing too about the d.i.y. approach...... i have quite a few accounts that upon reaching a state in the lawn they are happy with they no longer use my service and assume they can d.i.y..... only to call me back in six months to a year with a lawn in poor condition and expect it looking good in a couple weeks time.

my opinion is this... if you are not happy with a particular company then try another. this website is full of people more than glad to help you with advice if you do decide to do it yourself but remember the time, effort, and expense of doing so.

good luck

6. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

kilpatrickshrub&turf, do you apply spot treatments of fungicide if you see a problem area and then leave a bill for that small treatment? or do you do this for free? if you do charge the customer for the treatment what type of price would they be looking at?

my advice to ericlemson is to quit rooting for clemson and become a tar heel. besides that i would definitely hire a professional. like someone else responded in the long run you will save money and be less pissed off. short term you might save a few bucks, but is it worth it to have to deal with chemicals, sweat your @ss off, have bugs flying in your eyes and nose all for maybe $20 dollars a year. go spend some time with your children, wife, girlfriend, or big cold beer. plus when problems arise, and they will, what then? just my opinion.

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want a better lawn have them do it monthly OR have them add 4 granular applications to their 6 liquid.

when the lawn hits what you want, back off to 6 times a year.

no way you can do your own lawn for the price that you are getting it done for,,,,,that should tell you something!

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

six to eight weeks apart is way to far apart. just like th above post said. Dollar Spot is a sign of low fertility.

9. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

each case is situational. if its a small area ill spot treat it right then and forget about it. more extensive apps ill discuss treatment options with the customer first. with the cost of gas these days, id rather spray what??? maybe a pint of fungicide at most? or get called back in a few days to spray it anyway. amazing how many homeowners never notice anything about their properties till after we have just left. LOL

the lawn crews dont do anything more than apply weed control to flowerbeds and cement cracks and perhaps fry an ant mound or two, any other chems i do myself. so the less time i spend riding around town the better.

10. ericlemson

Lots of good responses. A couple responses and questions I have...

How do I go by asking them to treat monthly? Why wouldnt they have already pitched that when I signed up?

The company in question is Greenleaf Lawncare. Sometimes I feel that they are unprofessional and dont have a clue. When I call to ask a question, I am talking with a younger lady/girl that doesnt seem to know anything. After they came and applied fungicide and fert for the dollar spot, I called and asked them how often I should water and the girl said every 5-6 days. Then the very next day, they came again and did the regulary schedule treatment (at least two months since the last. On the receipt left at the house it said WATER WATER WATER!?!?!? They dont seem to be ont he same page. Why the two trips?

Lastly are there any reccomendations of another company I could try. Anyone on here? Someone that is around the same price, reliable, improives the apprearance of your yard, and have knowlegeable personal that can answer questions?