True Green strikes again

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meathead1134, Jul 9, 2005.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I have a customer that gets TGCL applications. The yard looked good early spring, I told him that I have heard numerous horror stories with this company so be careful. The house is in a newer subdivision no more than 2 years old. Well the front yard now looks like $*(#. He told me that I cut the grass way to short the week before. I haven't changed the deck height in a month on all my customers. He had an application 2 days prior to me coming. The front yard is burnt pretty good. TGCL only treats only the front yard, he has 2 dogs that are only aloud in back. Well the back yard looks better than the front yard. I don't change the deck height at all. I'm trying to tell him that the reason why the front yard is burnt is due to the applications he is getting. They (TGCL) are pumping way to many chemicals in the front yard causing the yard to burn. His yard is the only yard I do that gets treatment from TGCL and his front yard is the only yard thats burnt. Does anybody know which chemical is causing is front yard to burn. I know nothing about fert. I want to educate my customer in what is going on. Are they pumping to much nitrogen into the lawn or something? I know there are some people that can answer this please help me educate my customer

2. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

There are three things that could have occured....

1. The chemical was applies at high temps..

2. Fertilizer burn i.e. The nitrogen granules were coated with a small percentage of sulfur or whatever coating the manufacturer uses..

3. #1 and #2 combined.

Typical..

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

It's "allowed"

4. master mower

master mower LawnSite Member

Its just TruGreen being stupid and trying all they can to make mega bucks. They suck in ALL aspects, there isnt anything good to say about them. Once they fertilized my grandmas berduma grass when IT WAS DORMANT!!! They just prey upon ppl that dont know any better.

5. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Was it a gran. app or liquid?

Chances are if it were a liquid app, it was a 46-0-0 quick release fertilizer. Not to mention if they had a broadleaf mixed in the tank could have aided in harming the turf. Not sure how hot the temps were and how much rain you have (or havn't received, but a combo of quick N, herbicide, and hot temps could have fried the grass.

6. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

Mmmmm. i guess this would help explain why true green's cancellation rate is 47% per year. i don't agree with their company procedures. it's all about the thousands of dollars each branch they have brings in every day. there sales force will just about undercut anyone elses bid's just so they can get the job. another problem with them is that they can only hold onto 20% of there guy's from the previous year, and most tech's there will leave after 3 to 5 years of working for the company either wanting a different career or looking for a better company to work for. as we all know, a customer will want to know what is going on with there lawn and it's up to us to explain why thing are happening and what can be done to improve the situation. most of there guy's can tell a customer what's going on, but can't explain why or how it can be improved. this is the downfall of the company besides the fact the TGCL tech can be on and off the property within a matter of 10 minutes. people will allways look for the cheapest price they can find for fertilizing service and trugreen will allways be glad to take them as a customer. in my opinion, it's companys like truegreen who lower the standard in professionalism and make it harder for customers to trust guy's like us just for the simple fact they've been burn't before. i've found that the only way to combat this problem is to be honest, know what you are talking about and earn there trust by doing a quality job. where does truegreen show this type of loyalty???just my 2 cents worth.

respectfully,

Richard/owner

7. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

Well, i cut a full sized soccer field. It is maintained by TGCL. Well this year they came with their tractor and vicon spreader and now the field looks striped all of the time. They have 10-15 foot passes that they completely missed. It is so noticeable looks like #$%%.

The main reason that they get these jobs is because they use very little fert per app and sometimes they use next to nothing like they did this time. All i could do is laugh and tell the field director "told you so"

Jim

8. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Funny..I got into the business because of companies like TruGreen now roughly 95% of my clients were former TruGreen customers. Go figure.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree fully with what you are saying, and know exactly where you are coming from - especially not being able to explain a cure for an existing problem. However I don't understand this part, as the numbers don't seem to match up. It was said:

"another problem with them is that they can only hold onto 20% of there guy's from the previous year,"

This would mean that 8 out of 10 guys walk at the end of the year. It was then said:

"and most tech's there will leave after 3 to 5 years of working for the company either wanting a different career or looking for a better company to work for."

This would mean that most guys stay and not leave at the end of the year. Where are these numbers from? Are they solid fact, or just conjecture? I would like to know, because knowing facts like these actually helps, but I want to have my facts straight, and know where they come from.

10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i think he is saying that after the '8' walk...the 2 that remain will stick it out 3-5 years before they walk?

I think that sounds reasonably true