True Professionals Don't Mind Lowballers and Novices

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sean Adams, Dec 31, 2012.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

really? $1? lol that's crazy.

2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Yardguy, except I do keep an eye on the competition. Never know when you may learn something from them. As for pricing, I no longer change a price after spending time to get to an educated price. In the past when a customer asked if that was the best I could do, I usually would go down a little. I will not do that anymore. I don't just throw numbers around to see what will stick and I provide high quality service. For mowing and plowing I know what I need to charge rather quickly. For larger projects that require planning, I scutinize the quote several times before giving to the perspective customer. The last three sentences is what I tell customers now who ask if thats the best I can do. I believe the valuable customers actually appreciate that response and I know I have landed projects that I wasn't the lowest bid on.

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Good information. "Coming down" on price should only be a calculated consideration, never on a whim.

4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers like to haggle the price in lawn care and other stuff like buying cars. My standard procedure is to figure the price and raise it so I can lower it.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not a price haggler. you wanna haggle price call someone else.

when I give a price it's pretty much the absolute lowest I can go and still turn the profit I need.

I'm not out to make as much money off people as I can by nickle and diming them but I'm not out there to give away my services either. just looking to make what I consider to be a decent living.

if I tell $32 a cut that's what it is, PERIOD.

6. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Yardguy that is fine. No big deal, I agree with what you are saying. Saturn car was that way and I would love for everything to be that way. No discounts, no coupons, just post the price and be done with it.

7. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

The lowballers serve a purpose. They make me look good.

If someone asks me for a lower price, I answer "Sure! What do you want to leave out?"
    When a customer asks me something I always answer YES. Like the song "YES! We have NO bananas!

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i never charge like $27 or $32. it's gonna be $30 or $35. i round it off always. i don't just go in there with one price in mind though. i go in with a ballpark. say $45-$55. $45 is the least i can go to make the job worth doing and $55 is what i'm shooting for to make the job the most profitable it can be within reason. if they say they will only pay $40 i walk. usually i land it at about $50 which is fine.

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah see I have set prices for everything and that's what they are. if they try and haggle I walk.

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

And we see where saturn car is today don't we? OUT OF BUSINESS! I remember someone on here saying be careful about demanding things from the customer.