True Professionals Don't Mind Lowballers and Novices

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sean Adams, Dec 31, 2012.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

one??? really are you serious???

we have like 3 or 4.

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

OK! I'll give you 3 or 4, that vs how many LCO's? And yet still how many utility companies can you choose to do business with at your house? Probably ONE! there are three or four here also ONE for each city in the county! My point is, you can't pick and choose utility companies like you can LCO companies so that is not a fair comparison. There are hundreds of LCO's, vs three or four Utilities, try again.

3. yardguy28

well you can try again as well because your still NOT convincing me to allow people to dicker with my prices.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

All I'm saying is build in some flexibilty it doesn't have to be a lot but a little. If you show people that your willing to work with them it helps a lot.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

It is not "lowballers" that get to me. It is the fact that these "lowballers" are not legit that gets to me. I just wish we had an even playing field. Our state, counties and cities or always saying they need money. Well, why do they not go after these people? Our State, Texas, has us collect tax for landscaping so why do they not go after these people? My county charges me the same tax rate as my residence on the value of the equipment I use for my business, so why do they not go after these people? By the time I pay my commercial vehicle insurance, commercial general liability insurance, county taxes, Uncle Sam, pesticide license with ceu's, irrigation license with ceu's and ect........ I am way behind the 8 ball. They can do the job cheaper and still make more profit and that is what drives me crazy.

6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

What are the potential disadvantages/liabilities of a home owner hiring an illegal or an illegitimate business?

7. Turf Dawg

Depends. Probably nothing but let's play the "what if game"

Equipment catches fire and burns house, surrounding crops or other homes

Someone gets injured by flying debris

Expensive vehicle or home damage [owners or neighbors]

and the list goes on

If something happens who is the person going after the illegitimate business or the property owner that hired them?

8. Turf Dawg

Sorry, I forgot the part that really gets under my skin.

Your area is probably different than mine, but in my small Texas town that has about as many housing authority type homes as the regular homes the Mexican population is going crazy. Now Hose A, Hose B and Hose C gets them a mower and mows for cash at a cheaper price. Now since they are mowing for cash they say they do not have any income and go down and get home and utilities for almost nothing along with food and medical while the legit guy is not only getting under cut but is also making up the difference in taxes to pay the home, utilities, food and medical for the guy that is lowballing/illegitimate.

Burns my arse as bad as a two foot flame

9. yardguy28

why would I want to show people I'm willing to work with them when I'm NOT.

my price is what it is. you either pay it or find someone else. pretty simple if you ask me.

10. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

One or Two percent of their home value depending in their homeowners policy deductable.