TrueGreen and Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Well we have all talked about it and here it isin black and white This ad was in our local paper they also have a big display in the local Home Depots.

[​IMG]

2. Can't say where I got this.

tgcl1.jpg

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Just another attempt to get themselves out of a bad situation. Having plenty of cash flow problems right now.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

No home depots here. AHH HA HA HA. You can fake good fert plan and use nat contracts to get material cheaper than my supplier can. But I bet the gas companys won't go for it and what happens when the cut loose some of there prime employees loose with a walk behind? Different ballgame. Maybe itl doim in. AH HA HA HA. :laugh:

5. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Well, If home depot decides to do this in my area( offer lawn services) then They will never see another dime of my money again. I.E. Fertilizers, weed control products, you name it. Lowes is already on my bullcrap list and they will never get another dime from me, and they know it, same with sears. Lately I have been doing more business with walmart, the prices are good on many items, plenty of stock on hand and the help isn't arrogant like they have been lately at homedepot. Not to mention the assinine check out stand issues at home depot. Before I got into the lawn service business, I owned a paint store for years here in my town, home depot came in and put me out of business within a year of moving into town, I couldn't even sell the store, who wants to buy a store in a town where as soon as home depot comes in the fickle customer decides to say "screw personal service, lets go save a few bucks"....... today we have no more local hardware stores or lumber yards here in this town they all left or died out.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'm missing something. I don't understand.

7. I got some of it, and I know Hoss said he couldn't figure it out, and he is pretty good at that. You usaully post easy to read posts, but damn if we can't figure the last part out.

Can you Reiterate this post?

8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Home depot is looking to get into the lawn service business 65 hoss,..... but they are cutting a deal with truegreen chemlawn, the way this usually works is that the truegreen guy goes out and does a bid, then adds on top an additional percentage that they pay homedepot. In turn, homedepot offers trugreen the right to use homedepots name in it's marketing and vice versa.

Sears is real famous for this, I had a paint contractor friend who was almost involved in one of these plots.

The problem is that they( home Depot) are trying to cut into our livelyhood, while they expect us to purchase products from them. I have always said that Home Depot was never really contractor friendly, they really cater to the home owner and I honestly beleive they don't care who they put out of business just to increase thier bottom line.

9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Half of the chemical business is product. TGCL gets their product for about 2/3 what we can get it for, plus the don't use premium prod. Lawn maint has no product. Just service. There costs will be close to the same as ours. Easier to compete with them. Plus if you add in all the telemarketing and distain for the customers needs you may have the straw that broke the camels back. The giant bites off more than it can chew. I probably need sleep. OK.
    Mark

10. That's better 1grnlwn, thanks