1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TrueGreen Chemlawn (Burn your Lawn)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I went to a local store (Safeway) to get lunch today, As i walked out of the store I looked at my receipt and what do I see an ad,

SPECIAL OFFER from TrueGreen ChemLawn
    Valuable savings on lawn care services
    Call 1-888-737-xxxx for details.

I get tired of seeing this stuff all over
    every account they have here looks like Sh&& can't pepole see this.
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is TruGreen nationwide?? We have them in CT also. Most Ive seen are run by unknowledgable 'kids.'
  3. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

TrueGreen is like a bad rash, their all over!
  4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Chuck,

I saw the same thing last week at my local Safeway. I've never even seen them around here!

Still, my hats off to them. They must be doing something right. ;)
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

They HAVE to advertise heavily to keep going.

Their customer turnover rate annually hovers between 50% and 60%...or so I read somewhere. Also, an ex-tech for TG/CL told me that their employee turnover rate is even higher.

The customers that I service that are ex-TG/CL clients absolutely hate them...for killing their lawns...and for selling their names/contact info to every telemarketing firm on the globe.

I personally believe that their deal with Home Depot is a last ditch effort at staying alive.

I see their name everywhere too...but because of customer feedback about them I never lose any sleep over it. The word is getting around fast about them. :D

"Could I sign you up for a periodical nitrogen and urea overdose for you lawn today, mam??"

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Once you get beyond the first management tier (aka-the babysitter), you find a team of highly trained marketers. These people get paid to infiltrate the fabric of society and make their name recognizable to everyone. It generally works in the corporate world, and would have success if the product were of honorable repute!

But... It's not.:D
  7. JimB

JimB LawnSite Member

Chem Lawn is a joke, 2 of my customers last year had Chemlawn treat their lawn instead of me doin it, the lawns browned out right away and stayed like that all summer and my customers were told by Chemlawn that it was just the weeds dying out and the grass would come back!!! HUH, when, next year?
    I finally convinced both of those people to let me treat the lawn so I had to reseed and fertilize with lesco starter fertilizer and the lawns came back within a few weeks and now the lawns are back to lookin green again like they should. Thanx for nothing Chemlawn.

8. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

One of my customers ask me about TG/CL at the start of this season. She had already talked to them and of course they had her convinced her lawn could never get along without them. She then asked me what I thought and you can guess what I told her. I convinced her to let me do it. Well, TG/CL takes care of her neighbors yard and for the first month of this season she says, "look how green his yard is. I should have used TG/CL....." I said wait and see what happens" I go by there today and her neighbor is standind in his yard with about six sprinklers going spraying his mud brown yard. Now she has decieded that she is better off with me. Her yard is still green and looking nice, while the one she was envious of is now dead.
  9. JR LeGer

JR LeGer LawnSite Member
    from AZ

I can't say that I think TruGreen does good work, but I can say that they are a success.

TruGreen is actually owned by ServiceMaster. They have like 130+ offices in many states and do something like $600 million in annual sales. Several years ago they went aorund and bought up many profitable landscaping companies in diferent states.

Their work around here seems fair, but nothing to brag about. I think that it all depends on the employees and the management of any particular company in different branches. Whenever you have a company that big you are going to have many happy customers and many unsatisfied customers as well. Some work will be exceptional and some very poor. This occurs with any large organization.

From what I have read they grew their business primarily through telemarketing and other forms of advertising like that.

I would not mind owning TruGreen. I think everyone can say that. Well..maybe not, I guess some people would be happy to have a set number of accounts, stay relatively small, make good money and be happy. That's great. I personally would like to do $600+ million in annual sales and be in almost every state if not all of them.
  10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

The more a company advertises, the less I trust them. I know that sounds unfair but, I've worked for some of them and that's the way it is. Everything said about that company and it's customer/employee turnover can be said about O_k_n pest control too. Their motto is "Worlds Best" and people believe it if they hear it enough. Companies like that are revenue generating marketing machines, whereby my opinions are formed. Remember Enron? Why did they do so much advertising and gift giving? Now it's Williams Energy I see all over the place. They do it to get their name out as much as possible to boost their stock price. A young couple with a pest problem will call a "household name" first and then over time gradually learn what the purpose of those companies are. I was told to greet the customer and then ask if it's going to be cash or check. I now work for a local PCO that schedules my APPOINTMENTS and because of the way he does business, his customers and employees are extrememly loyal. Matter of fact, if I had gone to work for him 20 years ago when I first got into the pest business, I probably wouldn't have the "bug" to own somethng of my own. Now, that's not to say that all companies that advertise are bad, it's just more prevalant in the service industry.