1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truegreen took a $$$ hit this weekend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, May 14, 2006.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It sure does my heart good to see those Truegreen lowballers get what they deserve. They are taking a big hit in on their bottom line this weekend here in our town. They lowballed everyone on bidding for 2 years worth of contract mowing with our City. Myself, and others who had mowed the locations for years, got underbid at prices that were not even close to what it would take just to cover labor costs. Anyway, Truegreen is way behind on their mowing, and the grass has been growing like crazy due to good rains. At the city landfill, where I used to mow, Truegreen had not shown up since I last mowed it on April 1st. On Sat., they had 11 men, 5 trucks, and I don't know how many mowers on the site, and spent about 6 hours on the place. Two years ago, we faced a similar situation on that site, but, we cleaned it up with 4 men, one tractor, 2 ZTR's, and one truck. It only took us 5 hours. We made money! Truegreen bid it 50% cheaper than me. Wonder how much money they lost on that yesterday? Plus, they are in this same situation on the other 10 contracts they got here in town.
    I wonder how long even a big company can play this "lowball" game?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

they can bid lower because they have a lot of clout when it comes to buying and running the business. they buy vehicles, equipment and office stuff in bulk. all these things save them tremendous money. no doubt they probably lost money on the job, but the company is just too big and one crew like that not making money that day wont have much of an effect.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

OH!!!! Big means you make it!!!!!!! How about ENRON,,,, How about GM,,,,,, How about Case company. DO NOT Worry - Us small guys will prevail - Have a neighbors yard that ChemLawn came into last year and did about 5 applications of something. (Nobody gets clued into what) My yard next door is just fertilized 2 times per yr. and mowed, and it looks 10 times better.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

in no way did i claim tru green is a good company. in fact we got into fertilizing this year and i have taken a ton of work from them. frankly they arent even that financially stable right now, but he posted how it was possible to bid so low. thats how they do it.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My Goodness Grasious Saces Alivin. - How you get so defensive - i am with you 100% - I just posted one that says that the BIG BOYS - if they are pretenders - which most are - will go down the sewer pipe of bankruptsy.
  6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few yards that are treated by Scott's and a few treated by chem lawn. Honestly i cant complain about either, the lawns are nice and green and almost weed free.. The only two issues i have is in the spring they grow faster than hell and they always seem to have just put a application down right before i arrive.
  7. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Probably not but I pray for the day when these mass chemical marketers go out of business. I'm so tired of the way they douse the lawns with unneeded apps just for the bucks. We tell our customers just how bad this is for the lawn and some have been weened off this scam. We're starting to see more local small ops picking these up with more personal service.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not entirely disagreeing, but with the slew of Lco's (some honest, some not) out there, Chemlawn takes the nonsense out of the 'gee who do I hire' game.

But you are right, on a FULL service prop I do 6 apps / year max and we're done.
    One fert + calc in the spring and fert + lime in the fall, two weed treatments in the spring and two crabgrass treatments in late summer. My lawns aren't quite Chemlawn material yet, but pricewise it's not so bad and they're getting pretty close, they really are.
    Meanwhile, the fert + calc runs 60-120 each, the two weedtreats run 60 for both as do the two crab treats ($60 total) so we're looking at spending $240-$360 / year on chem treats for 1/4 - 1/2 acre lot, about double that for 3/4 to full acre.

NOW we're low-balling! One bag 34-0-0 fert per 1/4 - 1/2 acre, cost $9 each.
    2 bags of calcium, $10 more. Lime, we know it, $4 each.
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

keep telling yourself that! small guys have never prevailed especially in this industry and never will.

10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites, as you and others have pointed out it is really who has the best marketing and not the best service:cry: At least for most people. Years ago in our area, one of the nationwide firms was the ONLY applicator in the area. One of our customers wanted some trees and shrubs sprayed so he asked us who to call. Nobody to recommend but the big name. Our customer replied that he wouldn't allow that SOB on his property. Turns out he had this guy in the past and caught him spraying straight water:laugh: I wish you local guys the best because I simply believe one size does NOT fit all. Personal service that knows the area can't be beat if they're consciencious.