Trugreen-Chemlawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Cutters, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

Just found today from one of my big commercial accounts that Trugreen-Chemlawn shot them a bid for everything at least 50% lower than my bid. I have also contacted my other commercial accounts and have heard the same story. The customer then got five more bids and the bids were real close to mine. He gave me a copy of TG-CL bid to look at. TG-CL stated that subs will be used to do all the work except the chem apps. I am now redoing bids and selling the good points of my service. I can handle the other local companies on biddig jobs but one this big is going to be tuff. Sorry to sound off but this really p****d me off. If anybody has any ideas let me know, thanks.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-19-2001 at 07:52 PM]

2. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

ARE THEY CUTTING GRASS NOW? OR DID THEY JUST UNDERBID THE CHEMCIAL PART OF YOUR BID? PLEASE EXPLAIN. I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS CAUSE SO OF MY CUSTOMERS USE THEM AS I DON'T HAVE A APP. LICENCE.
    THANKS,
    Mowman

3. Both my Uncle and I have gone head to head with this company. You're in the same position that we were in. Do your monthly, and yearly cost. When you go by monthly service charge, they are way, and I mean way under what we ask for a monthly service charge. When you go by what you spent for the year, ends up we were cheaper. Why, they penny this, they penny that.

In my uncles case, the year total number averaged $400 less than 4-season(now Trugreen). In my case,I'm $200 less a month.
    Try showing the yearly totals.
    John

4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Well fellas with capitalism comes competition. Its hard to believe they have beaten your price with such ease, maybe your prices are too high?

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

For those of you who don't know, yes True-Green has entered the landscape end of the business. Their called True-Green Land Care. They started in my area last year. They have keep a low profile. My friend works there and said that they are expanding in different cities across the country.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

maybe since most big fertilizer co's buy their chemicals in BULK (like tractor trailer loads) it's a little hard to compete.it's also a little hard to compete if they use spray equipment and you only use the grainular.one little bottle of chemical to a 100+ gallon tank of mostly WATER.do the math.no wonder they can charge less.not only that they do it in volume.

8. ProScapeOM

ProScapeOM LawnSite Member

They keep calling me wanting to service my lawn. I keep telling them that I own a lawn maintenance company and to quit calling me. They don't give up. Us little guys are getting squeezed out. Quality will tell over time.

9. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Yes True Green is now in Landcare. They just bought out one of the big companies in my area. They are in the top two spots for revenues for 2000(#1 & #2)I think Lawn Apps were first and Landcare was second or vise-vera, almost 1 billion in sales.(900,000 something).

10. greengeezer

greengeezer LawnSite Member

Don't let the "big green" intimidate you. Every time they buy a company, they basicly buy the customer lists. There was a reason that those customers were not with them in the first place. When those customers find out that now they're TG/CL customers now they quickly jump ship. While there will always be customers that only care about price, there are lots of customers that have learned from TG/CL that they got what they paid for. Use your smaller size to promote your ablity to personalize service. Enough of the public has been thru the "big green" mill and want that personalized touch. They want the same person/owner doing their lawn each application and are willing to pay for that "service". Use their size against them.