trugreen commercial

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hunter140, Apr 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You could do that by applying Fusilade or Poast. Those are grass killers that have zero effect on broadleaf weeds. The normal lawn company would not ever have that in their shop. Those herbicides are used for field crops, orchards and flower beds only.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I agree their are several Select Herbicide that kill grass and not broad-leafs. But if you look close at the U tube, you can see fresh sod around the Dandelion. Also the second picture shows bare eroded ground and no sign of any dried up vegetation.

This actually is a very clever advertisement as are most TG/CL advertisements. TG/CL spends a small fortune on perception. First on Advertisement and then on custom made Cab Over van type trucks which are rolling bill boards that are seen by the public all day long. It is too bad they don't pay enough to keep good techs. Once in a great while they will have a tech who sees the light and does good work just long enough to get Certified and go out on their own. I have seen that happen a few but very few times

Bottom Line is you have to give credit where credit is due. TG/CL is one heck of a marketing company. Once again it is too bad they are not a Lawn care company. Or maybe I should say Thank Heavens they aren't a lawn care company.

3. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Hilarious commercial.
    I had just met a former TG branch manager of 10+ years, he had said that his higher ups would say "we are a marketing company that just happens to do lawn care". He also said that some years their branch would have a 40% turnover on customers. They are so good at marketing it didn't matter though, they would still grow the next year.

Posted via Mobile Device

4. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

"What the Front Yard"!

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure about the North, But in the South, most all TG/CL offices are a franchise and independently owned. I know a Guy who knows a Guy who Knows a Guy who's Dog Works at the local TG/CL. The Grape Vine reports the local Branch or Franchise did $ 4 Million gross last year and the owner only could take $ 50 K for him self.

Reasons give are a lot of thief of Chemicals and other poor management as well as untrained employees. But Low Prices and High royalty percentage paid to Corporate were major factors. These fancy TV Ads have to be paid for some how.

My own personal experience with TG/CL was trying to sell them accounts many years ago. Their offer was great until you consider the small print and major cash hold backs. The Big Promise and shallow results appear to be TG/CL's style.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Like I said, I love the ad's because it gets people thinking about professional services. Most people will drop one of those companies for me in a heart beat if not as soon as the contract is over :)

7. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I for one do find the TGCL commercials this year pretty insulting, but far more tacky than anything else. Especially after last year with that ass Bobby kid and his lawn mower flashing a wad of cash...I am surprised they went this route.

The ones I like are the Scotts commercials. At first this guy annoyed me and probably will if I see him too many more times but this commercial cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7O99M7_Lk

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Didn't scotts get busted for mis-lable of their product? LOL, I know they did on their weed and feed.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

All the Tru Green offices here are corporate owned. Now Scott's which is just startign to show up in my area, are franchiseed. The local one here is 150 miles away, but still comes here....lol

From what i have been told, alot of the tru green guys have their "own" route, aside from the tru Green route. If you know what i mean. lol

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Isn't he the same guy that went around slapping evryone on the back of the legs with a dipstick on that auto parts advertisement? He always said"use your dipstick" after he slapped them. Those commercials were hilarious