Trugreen in trouble?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jun 7, 2013.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I wish I could.

No presence here in AK.

They closed the doors of the place a few years backĀ…because they gave it no support and let a moron run the shop

2. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

you just threw them under the bus. that was not good business practice:rolleyes:

3. threepointchamp

threepointchamp LawnSite Member

Throwing them under the bus on this site is one thing... throwing them under the bus to gain a customer because your service doesn't sell itself, different story.
    I am not trying to gain anything but stating the facts that are already out there.

4. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

You are absolutely right. Customers don't want to hear you bash any of your competitors. It also makes you look like a creep as well. I just always point out that we are locally owned and operated. I also point out to them that although they may be cheaper.. You get what you pay for. :)

I will bash them on here all day though. They don't give 2 shits about their customers. They lie and confuse older people and are encouraged to do so by upper management. Karma is a ***** and Tru green is getting theirs :) lol

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  5. georgialawn88

trust me, I hope trugreen is alive well and has twice the advertising budget as last year. Its by far my best marketing program yet. This year I have closed over 50 yards and counting lots were from TG

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe this statement to be spot on.

I picked one up the other day that they treated last year. A 70 yr old widow. They told her that her first app would be free but then mailed the first invoice. She had to argue with them on the phone about the salesman/tech telling her it would be free. On the second one they sent her a late notice 4 days after she had sent them a check for the second app.

Here's the kicker...
    I am one of the more expensive services in my area. I quoted her a price of $46.50/app. After measuring the lawn, she invited me in and we went over my estimate form. It was then that she told me they were charging her $69/app. I was floored... That's just wrong on so many levels. Anyone who takes advantage of the elderly is a POS in my book..

7. georgialawn88

In their defense, They prob. had someone measure the lawn that didn't even know he was alive. but yes i agree w u. pos

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope. It was the "tech". He measured and applied...

9. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Prices are prices, trugreen is definitely cheap in most markets, some markets they're standard. But regardless, they seem to universally do terrible work. They aren't competition, they're the company people start with, then realize they're getting raked over the coals. It's not hard to pick these people up, they're usually actively looking to jump ship.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

You are right about that! All their expensive advertising sure does help us little guys! Tru Green is a marketing company, where as we are lawn care companies :)