1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trugreen is beyond persistent

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by reiterch, May 10, 2008.

1. reiterch

reiterch LawnSite Member
    from PA

I had one application (fert/weeds) done last summer by Trugreen. Ever since they will not stop calling. It is getting ridiculous.

I must have turned them down for additional service 4 times last year, and now this year we are up to about a half a dozen phone calls, as well as two door-to-door visits. I have asked twice now (the second time tonight) to be removed from their solicitation lists. I doubt it'll happen.

Everything I've read here seems to be true, although I didn't read any of it until after the application last year. Honestly I didn't re-hire them because I thought their application didn't do squat. It barely killed anything and didn't green the lawn up barely at all. I've done granular applications myself that turned out better.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share my personal experience and recommend that nobody hire this company.
  2. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

What do they say when you tell them to quit calling?
  3. reiterch

reiterch LawnSite Member
    from PA

"Ok, we'll take you off our list."

I've only told them this twice so far (the last two times I got the call). The other times my wife answered and just told them, "no, we're not interested".

It's never the same person calling twice either.
  4. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

The reason I ask, I had a similar experience with Terminex. (they sprayed for fleas about 5 years ago, It did nothing to them) They use to call once or twice a week.

So one day I called them, and asked to speak to the owner.

The owner was not available. So I wanted to speak to the highest executive available. I was told to hold, then they came back and wanted to take my name and number for them to call me back. I told them I would wait until he/she was available. So I waited 10 minutes on hold and spoke to a man. I told him that I have had several calls to my home for them to conduct business after several requests to be taken off their customer database and call list, all were unsuccessful. He was apologetic and told me he was going to get to the bottom of it.

I got a letter in the mail back in August of last year, from an executive from their office apologizing. I have yet to of been contacted.
  5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Tell them your moving to a condo. Your house is sold. Works if they believe you
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A restraining order by the court might, just might, work for a year. Next year when the new employees are calling you it might be easier to get them to stop because of the court order.

TG has a ton of tricks when it comes selling. Too bad (maybe Thank heavens) their work is so bad. Most of the salesman know nothing and tell the customer anything. One trick is to pull a weed from the customer yard and put it in a TG bag with "LOOK WHAT WE FOUND IN YOUR YARD." I have two stories about that trick. 1st was St Augustine Grass in the bag. (admit the yard was mostly weeds) and 2nd was a grassy weed that can not be controlled selectively.
  7. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer do that, but TG still calls them monthly.
  8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

i think there is something in their contract that to get the discounted first service that you agree to allow them to call you for up to 6 months after you cancel
  9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

if you did to an ex girlfriend what tru green chemlawn does to an ex customer you would be called a stalker
  10. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

it is all about wording
    Tell them to put you on the Do Not Call List
    Trust me I worked for trugeen for about 6 months I did the calling and door to door it is only legal if you say those words because trugreen does not have a solicitation list they are active customers they had in the past. The condo thing will not work they will still call to see if your are still there if not to see if the new home owner wants the service