Trugreen job

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jason B., Feb 21, 2009.

1. Jason B.

Jason B. LawnSite Member

Don't jump on me for this, but I'm suppose to start with Trugreen Tuesday and after a little research(that I should have done before applying) I am having second thoughts on even showing up for the first day. I have been laid off for over a month and kinda jumped on this before I thought about it. I'm an honest guy, not one to take advantage of people or one to work my life away for some money hungry company that doesn't care about it's employees or customers. I don't know if I could live with myself knowing I cheated someone. I honestly have to say I have never felt this way about any job I have ever had. I wasn't this worried when I got laid off. I'm still looking for another job, just like I never got this one.
    What should I do?

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Call em and let em know you've had second thoughts about working for them after reading reviews of the company and their unethical application methods and that you would rather not be a party to anything like that.

3. azjojo99

azjojo99 LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

If you need the $ take the job, jobs are hard to find right now.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, the tech (you as the guy doing the applications) is the majority of the service. There's too many techs out there that just don't care. They know they have a quota to meet every day and will do what it takes to get their numbers, even if that means 'ghosting' or applying on half of a property. Conversly they DO have good techs out there, and unless CL is telling them otherwise they are going to do people right and do the job they are supposed to do. From the sounds of your first post you want to succede and don't want to cheat people.

There's a LOT of bad rap towards Chemlawn, but I think if you go in and want to do a good job it will take you far. At the very least hang out and soak up all the knowledge about chemicals and anything on the applicators end that you can learn, and use that elsewhere in the future. Many times former Chemlawn techs go on to run their own businesses or work for fertilizer companies as salesmen.

Just my 2 cents.

5. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Take it and do a good job so you dont loose sleep at night and keep looking for a way out of there.Just dont put it on your resume if go to another lawn care company!

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Take the job and do the best you can and keep looking for work elsewhere if you are not happy there. Just my thoughts.

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Go for it. It's a great place to "learn the ropes" so to speak and a great place to learn what NOT to do. Is it a tech job or sales? Use the training, get licensed and soak up as much as you can.

8. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

The MAIN problem with chem lawn is assembly line trained techs, who are just churning a pay check.. If you're someone who actually cares about the job, rather than JUST the check, you'll do great, and chem-lawn will benefit from your devotion.... I say go for it!

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jason B.

Look on the bright side. First It is a JOB and a pay check in a very bad time.

Second While TG/CL has a bad reputation in the Industry, They are an experienced Marketing company, where you may not learn Lawn Care. But you can learn marketing and sales. This training can or is going to be very valuable to you in any other job career you decide to pursue later on.

When you really think about it, Life is about selling. Whether it be selling yourself to a new job or just trying to get along with the wife. We are constantly having to sell our Ideas or services. What better place to either learn or hone those skills than a powerful market company like TG/CL.

10. Jason B.

Jason B. LawnSite Member

Tech job. I have done lawn care work before and know what it takes to do a good job. I didn't really want to get back into lawn care but as you all know it's a bad time to turn down a job. I guess I got burn out on it at the last place I worked. Thanks for the encouragement guys.