Trugreen Jurassic sized weeds!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fizzak, Apr 21, 2004.

1. fizzak

fizzak LawnSite Member

I had Trugreen come out and run an analysis on my lawn. The analysis said my clay soil needs airating but not to do it until fall. The soil is very hard and probably was abused for many years before I bought it 2 years ago. I think I will hire someone to come out and do it anyway. Trugreen has already applied a pre-emergant 3 weeks ago. Will the airating hurt the lawn?

Their analysis did not show soil ph or other nutrient info so I tested myself with a cheapo test kit from Ace hardware. It said my soil was ph nutral and hardly any sign of nutrients like nitrogen. I figured Trugreen would have fertilized by now.

Also since the pre-emergant was applied the dandylions and clovers and other weeds have grown to unusually large sizes Jurassic Park style. The dandylion flower parts do not bloom but the puffy balls are very tall, coiled with unusually thick stalks. When I mow them, they pop back up the next day! as if I never mowed at all. It seems very unnatural.

Thanks, this is my first home. I'm trying to learn about lawn care.
  2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Contact your County Extension Agent (your federal taxes at work!). He can refer you to a comprehensive soil analysis and is familiar with your local conditions/problems.
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I would aerate the lawn, but with the comment that fall aeration is also possible. It will not hurt the lawn.

Pre-emergent use is kind of like preventative medicine, that is, it is used to keep seeds from germinating, but will do little but to annoy the weeds that have already sprouted. You will need a selective post-emergent herbicide for those guys.

I've never had to deal with clay soil, but I'd be tempted to aerate it and then topdress the lawn with a layer of fine organic compost. My idea is that the compost would work into the aeration holes and then decompose at the root zone of your turf. This will add nitrogen and organic matter to your clay soil.
  4. fizzak

fizzak LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. A few days after I posted this, all of the weeds have died. Trugreen's pre-emergence has some growth hormone that effects certain types of weeds and causes them to grow out of control until they die, I went ahead and had the lawn airated then seeded and the lawn looks pretty good now.