TruGreen price for 11k

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GarPA, Apr 7, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Sorry to bring up TG ...again...but I'm not here to bash them..rather I had an existing landscape customer call me this morning and wants leave them...I asked what they were charging him for 11,000 ft...he said $40. I cant do it for that and won't. Is that about the norm for TG?? They used to not give it away as I recall. And we've hashed it out many times b4 here about what is or is not coming out of those hoses...I'm more interested in getting a price check from you guys..thanks

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see what is so low about that price. Just about in line with my rate for straight fert. $0.0036/sq. ft.. Only a quarter acre. Multiply that by 4 and you get almost $160/acre gross. Fert around $14/bag to cover that area in 15 minutes tops.

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

My price for 11,000 square feet is $61 per step for a 5 or 6 step program. It includes 4-5 fertilizer applications, pre emergant, post emergant (blanket and spot sprays). I am not trying to price compete with the big guys so I know I am higher. I do take extra time for each application and sell a more personalized service. Set your price and stick to your guns. Just give the customer a quality service and they will pay.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Agreed...my point, which I did not clarify was that I was driving to one account for a whopping $25 gross profit b4 expenses...assuming $15 for the fert. The local companies here are more in the $50 to $55 dollar range for a property this size. I only do apps when I'm asked to by an existing customer and even then I try to get them to go with a local fert company....thats why I'm 'price stupid'. Just dont like the callbacks you can get with apps.

5. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

if your any good price should not be a issue dont compete with price .sell on your service ,and if u dont get the job so what !!! we r here to make money !! if u give it away call me ill buy ur equipment this fall hahaha j/k sell ur self thats it.
    if u get more than 50% of your bids ur to low .

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

turfsolutions, i recently sold an 11, 800 sq ft property, on a program for over $800!!!!! u guys are killing me! grossing $25 beans on an app? after all is said and done, do u owe the customer money?

7. turfsolutions

Bobby gedd - am not sure if you were talking about me or not. I don't think I am low balling by any means. In my area Custom Care and Chemlawn are the ones to compete with and I am definately higher than them. They make it tough on guys like me. Great job on selling an $800 lawn program for 12K ft2.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ugh! How can you use that name in here? "Custom Care" that is. I have a lawn customer who won't switch to my services from them although I am the one left to fight the over nitrogenized lawn in the spring when it grows 5" a week. Then come the first heat wave there is nothing to cut because it is all fried.

P.S. The lawn is in Media.

9. turfsolutions

Hey Scraper, I know how you feel. I go through the same thing with my customers. I just picked up a customer in Rose Tree Estates that is going to use me for everything, however Chem lawn or L.D. already made one application. I went to do the Spring Clean up and the dam lawn was no lie 7 inches high. As for Custom C%$^ I don't know how they make any money bidding so low, but I know they do make money. By the way, What's your business name?

K Dostillio
    Natural Landscaping LLC.
    Wallingford.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is for this type of reason exactly, that we have the policy; If we don't do the the fert, we don't do the cut. PERIOD. :cool: