Lawn Care Forum banner

Trugreen Rep Says Im going to run you out of biz

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BaxtersEssentialLawnCare 
#1 ·
So get this I was out cutting today and a friend of mine was putting out flyers for me. We were in the same development so when I got done I thought I'd go over a talk for a minute. Well I pull up and I see this guy get out this broken down car and walk up to her car. HE IS MAD. So there was this little half circle about 50 feet from them so I turn around. I can see is arms flapping and pointing and he is just getting it. I'm about to jummp out and go down there but he jumps back in his car and drives upto me. (very thoughtful I didnt have to walk) So he goes are they working for you, and I said yeah they are doing flyers. Well he goes they took my flyers. I had already talked to her she had her niece and nephew with her (16/11) and they grabbed like four or five before she saw and they stopped. So I was like yeah they stopped and arent gonna touch anymore. Then I get the death stare, for atleast 2 minutes he is just stareing. At this point I haven't really said much b/c I didnt want any potential clients to see me upset, but he goes and says I'm gonna run you out of business. I couldn't stop myself I screamed at him UUUUUUUOOOOOO. Guess he didnt like that B/c he tried to make a I'm a big shot get away trying to peal out but is was more like sputter, sputter pop fizz clunk kinda sound. Now I get being upset but geez they were kids and as soon as she saw it they stopped. I mean really. I did get some good info tho these are about 5-7k lots and they are pricing between 45-55 a lot. Anyone have this happen? I'm gonna lodge a complaint today with trugreen. He could have just explained what happen and that he would like it to stop and it would hvae been over but the fact that he blocked her car and jumps at her with kids is just not right. I might I add when he got to me he didn't even try to get out of his car. What kind of man does that? You will be all over a woman with kids but a guy your own size well kinda my gut aint that big and nope you hide in your car.

See less See more
#2 ·
Baxter

TG/CL is only managing to keep afloat here in my area. Their work is so lousy only the Cheap will hire them. But still they did 6 million gross last year and I have on good authority the franchise owner only make $ 50 K.

Right now I am up against them on a 2 acre of turf on a condo Bid. Knowing the Board is super cheap and the fact I can Spread & Spray the whole place with my ride on, I bid it super low. But I am willing to bet TG/CL will under cut my price. In fact after a 3rd meeting with the Board President I am kind of hoping they do get the bid.

#3 ·
Ric

From what I have seen they have really poor quality. I hvae an acct right next to theirs and its night and day. The Trugreen lawn I know the owner waters a good bit mine they want to but its a rental and the landlord wont fix it and they don't want to get stuck with the bill. Its kinda sad really nice people they had issues b4 with locs and the landlord dosn't want tofix anything. Even with no watering it still looks way better than trugreen. I almost wonder if trugreen is doing more harm than good. Thin/bare spots everywhere. Mine had a few but they are filling in nicely I haven't seeded just regular cut and fert. My wife saw their prices an was like he was right they will run u out I looked at her and laughed. I said I don't really think I'm worried about the dollas store of the fert biz. There prices were about 1/2 of my lowest which is 100 an app.

#4 ·
Actually, yes....physiologically, their junk they lay down DOES do more harm than good over time. I'm not gonna get into now, because I have to run (lunch is over), but on the scientific end, once you know, it all makes perfect sense.

#5 ·
Ric

From what I have seen they have really poor quality. I hvae an acct right next to theirs and its night and day. The Trugreen lawn I know the owner waters a good bit mine they want to but its a rental and the landlord wont fix it and they don't want to get stuck with the bill. Its kinda sad really nice people they had issues b4 with locs and the landlord dosn't want tofix anything. Even with no watering it still looks way better than trugreen. I almost wonder if trugreen is doing more harm than good. Thin/bare spots everywhere. Mine had a few but they are filling in nicely I haven't seeded just regular cut and fert. My wife saw their prices an was like he was right they will run u out I looked at her and laughed. I said I don't really think I'm worried about the dollas store of the fert biz. There prices were about 1/2 of my lowest which is 100 an app.
Baxter

From what I have seen TG/CL can keep a good lawn looking OK for year before finally screwing it up. The problem comes from the Help they Hire with no real training. The wages they pay and the work ethic are all centered around Selling and not education of proper lawn care. The Spray Techs don't even mix their own chemicals and everyone from A to Z gets the same Mix. The problem comes when great equipment is given to Idiots to use. My Customers are paying for my educated Eye and that is something TG/CL doesn't have.

Former TG/CL employees who go out on their own, generally have a large learning curve that many never master. They can sell because that is their training. But holding on to customer is an other story. I see a few posting on Lawnsite who are famous for Misinformation and Bragging.

In many ways we as an industry owe TG/CL and big vote of thanks. First for developing and selling a demand for our service. Second for being such a weak competitor that they send more business our way than they keep.

What caught me eye on this thread was the fact I am presently dealing with a real PITA condo president who has throw TG/CL in my face as a competitor to my bid. Guess what? I hope TG/CL gets his PITA business and problem lawn. I know for fact they can't do his job with any success. Their failure will be my revenge on the old fart PITA President for giving me a hard time.

BTW I had one of my best customer sell her home back in December. The New owner went price shopping and found TG/CL. Best Advertisement I have had in that neighborhood. I am waiting for that call that asks if I willing to come back. I'll be sure to offer them a top spot on my WAITING LIST.

#6 ·
Yeah I can't say I mind them, they get people thinking about their lawn so thats good. Like I told my wife I don't consider them to be a competor at all. This just kindas ruffled my feathers with the way he acted.

Runner

I have seen some samples of their prog and I think I have a bit of an idea on what they are using but just for my knowldge. If you wouldn't mind sharing what you know that would be awesome. If you don't think this is the best place pm me and we will set up a different way to talk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.